Poor handling

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ahambea

Poor handling

Post by ahambea »

I have just got my first firestorm, very happy with the power and the look of the bike but it doesn't handle like other Honda's I have owned, they are usually very neutral but this bike drops in on corners and pushes on the inside wrist a lot. Its worse the slower you go and make the bike feel unsure. It's hard work to ride and not much fun it town.
It has a ride height washer between above the rear shock, apart from that it looks standard, the forks in the correct position and the head bearings seem OK. I changed the rear tyre because it was worn, this made a little difference for the better but not much. The bike has done 28000 miles and is in very good condition.
Are they always like this ?
Can anybody help.

Regards Andrew
Wicky

Re: Poor handling

Post by Wicky »

Try taking the shock spacer out - and /or start from scratch and use slotted washes so you can increase ride height in 2mm increments till you're happy.

Also make sure the front tyre matches the rear, is in date, isn't squared off and pressures are set to spec.

Cornering > viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41245
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's usually low front tyre pressures, but check the head bearings, too.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

ahambea wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:07 pm I have just got my first firestorm, very happy with the power and the look of the bike but it doesn't handle like other Honda's I have owned, they are usually very neutral but this bike drops in on corners and pushes on the inside wrist a lot. Its worse the slower you go and make the bike feel unsure. It's hard work to ride and not much fun it town.
It has a ride height washer between above the rear shock, apart from that it looks standard, the forks in the correct position and the head bearings seem OK. I changed the rear tyre because it was worn, this made a little difference for the better but not much. The bike has done 28000 miles and is in very good condition.
Are they always like this ?
Can anybody help.

Regards Andrew
Aren't you asking the same question you asked in 2017?
ahambea

Post by ahambea »

OK yes I did post this in the past, I didn't want to admit I have had the bike in the garage for 3 years and not found the time to sort it out, I just wanted to know of anybody had any good ideas on what the problem could be.
Regards Andrew
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

After 3 years and some, the front tyre is likely past its best by date.

A Guide to Tire Date Codes > https://hooshmand.net/motorcycle-age-tire-dot-codes/
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

ahambea wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:23 pm OK yes I did post this in the past, I didn't want to admit I have had the bike in the garage for 3 years and not found the time to sort it out, I just wanted to know of anybody had any good ideas on what the problem could be.
Regards Andrew
Mate, three years is nothing around these parts. It sounds like your project is flying along.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:48 pm
ahambea wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:23 pm OK yes I did post this in the past, I didn't want to admit I have had the bike in the garage for 3 years and not found the time to sort it out, I just wanted to know of anybody had any good ideas on what the problem could be.
Regards Andrew
Mate, three years is nothing around these parts. It sounds like your project is flying along.
:lol: :clap:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Regards Andrew
jesus 3 years is a win on this forum :clap:

start from the bottom, tyres,pressures, head bearings.wheel bearings, then just wring its neck :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

after you have checked the tyres / bearings etc, it might be worth setting it back to standard by removing the shock spacer and setting the forks to the correct drop through the yokes . then start adding things back.

might also be worth checking the forks are not bent or misaligned by loosening all the bolts (except the top yoke on each side) bouncing it up & down then tighten from the top back down.
AMcQ
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

I have always though the steering was slow and need positive application of opposite lock. With the straight bars, as I have now, that's easy to apply. Never unsafe, or unpredictable but you have to make it happen
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

But in all fairness I don't ride as much as some nor do I have much suspension knowledge. Just how it appears to me and relative to my previous bikes
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

At Revolution Racing I can cure all the well known handling issues of the Firestorm. Unless the forks have already been "tuned" you must remove the slot plates on top of the rear damper. If you wish to discuss your suspension in more detail please contact me by email on roger AT revolutionuk.co.uk (Change AT with @ and no spaces in email address) or telephone 07970 915259 anytime.
Wilky811

Post by Wilky811 »

The front end on my Storm is exactly how you describe. I'm doing quite a bit of work on the bike over the winter, so before it's back on the road next year I'll have replaced the tyres, wheel bearings and head bearings. Hoping for better feel from the front