No fuel, tons of smoke, won't start

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: No fuel, tons of smoke, won't start

Post by tony.mon »

Probably a cheap European one, rather than a quality Chinese copy.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Now that the fires are over and my life is semi normal again...Haven't fired her up yet. I still have the sump plug out and a small amount of petrol is dripping through and ending up in my oil pan. Not much but noticeable.

I managed to find a genuine petcock kit in the US but he doesn't have 1997, only has from 1999 to 2005. Would they all be the same?
Maybe swearing will help
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Probably not, the later bikes have the tap in a different location.
You can use the reverse part lookup to see if the tap is used on other models, and get a kit for one of those.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

KatanaKid wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:01 am I managed to find a genuine petcock kit in the US but he doesn't have 1997, only has from 1999 to 2005. Would they all be the same?
That's weird! I thought they changed the petcock around 2003 ish when the slightly larger tank came out????
mine was a 99 and I'm sure it's the same one as the 97

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Thanks gents. I'll keep looking for genuine in the '97 to '99 range.
Maybe swearing will help
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Now I could be wrong here but although the petcock is different on the later bikes I think the diaphragm is the same.

The difference is as the unit is mounted on the frame & not the tank you only have access to one side...

Oh & there is only one fule pipe from the tank...

This is a late one... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR100 ... SwjrZdC2Nw

This is an early one...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-HONDA-V ... SwXt5dYH4Z
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Ok so after waiting a month for my genuine rebuild kit to fly from the US, it got stuck in the Bahamas and disappeared (can't blame the kit). I ended up ordering a whole new fuel tap and filter locally fitted it yesterday and NO LEAKS, yesss. New oil, new filter, new fuel and she kicked over straight away, OMG she is a legend. A bit of smoke from the exhaust and after five minutes I shut her down came back ten minutes later and smoke is gone and a sweet purr remains...But now the clutch feels like a sponge and isn't working hardly at all and is slightly noisy :( Used full four litres of Silkolene semi-synth and new filter.

Any suggestions regarding clutch? Will I need to replace friction plates or at least inspect? Thanks gents
Maybe swearing will help
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Re. Clutch. Have you bled it with fresh fluid. Use a large catheter syringe and hose to force draw fresh fluid down, top up reservoir little and often.

Also worth servicing master and slave system. The slave unit can ingest grit damaging seals and scratching bore leading to inopperative clutch. Service kits are available, or swap on good second-hand unit from Blackbird, blade or new aftermarket Oberon brand.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Good news. Always nice when things are far less of an issue than first appear.
BTW it's not really a VTR unless the clutch rattles. You never hear it on WOT anyway 🤪👍
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

are you concerned that the petrol has caused the friction plates to swell?

its not something I have come across, but it sounds like you had a lot of petrol in there, so it is a posibility
AMcQ
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

If it's been stood a month plus would they not have dried out. Petrol evaporates of pretty quickly, well so I believe
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Yes I was thinking that the four litres that made its way into the sump may have done something to the plates...

I have had the day off as I am feeling a bit you know, like I should be self isolating. Felt the clutch lever and it feels ok, started her up and is idling as smooth as ever with no clutch noise(or maybe a tiny bit that I never noticed before)...strange. Clutch is working again, changed gears fine. Man this bike fixes itself, it's almost creepy :thumbup:
Maybe swearing will help
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

It likes you!!!!! Not called Christine is it by any chance.

Enjoy. Best of luck self isolating, been feeling rough, putting on weight and bored but all in a good cause.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KatanaKid wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:48 am Ok so after waiting a month for my genuine rebuild kit to fly from the US, it got stuck in the Bahamas and disappeared (can't blame the kit). I ended up ordering a whole new fuel tap and filter locally fitted it yesterday and NO LEAKS, yesss. New oil, new filter, new fuel and she kicked over straight away, OMG she is a legend. A bit of smoke from the exhaust and after five minutes I shut her down came back ten minutes later and smoke is gone and a sweet purr remains...But now the clutch feels like a sponge and isn't working hardly at all and is slightly noisy :( Used full four litres of Silkolene semi-synth and new filter.

Any suggestions regarding clutch? Will I need to replace friction plates or at least inspect? Thanks gents
KatanaKid wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:39 am Yes I was thinking that the four litres that made its way into the sump may have done something to the plates...

I have had the day off as I am feeling a bit you know, like I should be self isolating. Felt the clutch lever and it feels ok, started her up and is idling as smooth as ever with no clutch noise(or maybe a tiny bit that I never noticed before)...strange. Clutch is working again, changed gears fine. Man this bike fixes itself, it's almost creepy :thumbup:
Good to hear the outcome, glad it's all fixed :thumbup:

Chris.
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Thanks for the advice and support everyone. So after all this, the bike is ready but the best time to ride has passed and with self isolation I can't really ride anyway. Unless I have a backpack on and am going shopping in search of long lost bog roll.

Are twits hoarding poo squares over in the UK as well?
Maybe swearing will help