What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: What bore is the carbs on a VTR 1000?

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:40 pm Engine installed in the frame! :D I cant think of any bike that is so simple to get the engine in the frame… I remember three of us struggling to get a Laverda 1000 lump in a freshly painted frame years ago, trying desperately not to mark the paint!

I see what you mean regarding how easy it is to fit the engine into the frame :thumbup:

It's starting to come together now :clap:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

total left field question, i know these carbs are big but has anybody ever bored a set to say 50 mm and tried them?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:47 pm total left field question, i know these carbs are big but has anybody ever bored a set to say 50 mm and tried them?
I've often wondered the same thing...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

I wanted to change the colour of the rear spring from yellow to red, and tidy up the shocker… which meant getting the spring off! its no easy task as its VERY strong. I drew up a couple of plates on CAD and sent the drawing to the laser cutter… few days later these came. made it an easy and safe job!

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

mik_str wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:32 am
fabiostar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:47 pm total left field question, i know these carbs are big but has anybody ever bored a set to say 50 mm and tried them?
iv a few carbs bits sitting about here and just to see if its possible i think il mount a carb body in the lathe, just to see :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:21 pm I wanted to change the colour of the rear spring from yellow to red, and tidy up the shocker… which meant getting the spring off! its no easy task as its VERY strong. I drew up a couple of plates on CAD and sent the drawing to the laser cutter… few days later these came. made it an easy and safe job!

I like your spring compression tool, at least no chance of it slipping off and flying somewhere.
fabiostar wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:03 pm
mik_str wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:32 am
iv a few carbs bits sitting about here and just to see if its possible i think il mount a carb body in the lathe, just to see :thumbup:
8) :thumbup:

Good luck Rob,

Chris.
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

well its back on its wheels... I am pleased at how the Multistrada footrest conversion has worked out, it brings the foot pegs forward quite a bit and should achieve the riding position I was looking for.

Just about to rebuild the brakes... the fronts are fine and the pistons came out easily, but the rear caliper is seized absolutely solid! I have left it connected to the air line overnight, but the pistons have not moved yet!

Not sure about the gold discs on the front... they may have to be changed... we will see...

Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

What a top job. It is going to look fantastic!!! Oh to have the space and tools, not to mention the skill to use them. Me I can just about change a spark plug 😂😂
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

buzzer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:04 pm well its back on its wheels... I am pleased at how the Multistrada footrest conversion has worked out, it brings the foot pegs forward quite a bit and should achieve the riding position I was looking for.

Just about to rebuild the brakes... the fronts are fine and the pistons came out easily, but the rear caliper is seized absolutely solid! I have left it connected to the air line overnight, but the pistons have not moved yet!

Not sure about the gold discs on the front... they may have to be changed... we will see...

You're making good progress :thumbup: :clap:

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

That bike is looking really nice
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

That bike is good enough to sit in any bedroom :thumbup: :thumbup:
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

Any of you guys tell me where the large and small black pipe goes to on your VTR's?

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

large one is the diaphragm vent to atmosphere .. on the storm it goes into the airbox so it is breathing filtered air.

I am not sure about the small one, but I think it is the float bowl vent to atmosphere
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
buzzer

Post by buzzer »

perfect! thanks guys :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: