Post by alanfjones1411 »

Cct's?
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Rhughes945

Re: Finally arrived yesterday!

Post by Rhughes945 »

Yellow is the best.

Apart from red, that's the fastest.

Sprocket nuts have come loose and jammed the rear wheel up in the swingarm. Dealer I bought it from boasted a '52 point check'.
Angry phone call in the morning, this could have been a lot worse if I wasn't only doing 50
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Must have only done a 51 point check.Deserves a right good b*locking.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rhughes945 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:13 pm Yellow is the best.

Apart from red, that's the fastest.

Sprocket nuts have come loose and jammed the rear wheel up in the swingarm. Dealer I bought it from boasted a '52 point check'.
Angry phone call in the morning, this could have been a lot worse if I wasn't only doing 50
Are you sure it's the sprocket nuts that have come loose, rather than the sprocket carrier bearing has failed :?:

Which ever happened it must have been a scary moment :crazy: Glad you're okay,

Chris.
Rhughes945

Post by Rhughes945 »

Thanks Sirch, shan't post from my phone again :lol: :lol:

Definitely the nuts, managed to walk to a nearby (1 mile) shop and get a 19mm spanner.
Been on the phone with the dealer, they're sending me new nuts and loctite, they did offer to pick the bike up and look at it but they're 130 miles away and I need the bike for work.
They'll be having it back if anything else happens though.

Now I'm rummaging these forums for cold starting tips.. tempted to get a Lithium battery, seems the bike favours crank speed?
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Check the cable where it goes connects to starter as they are prone to corrosion.I used to spin mine over with ign on and no choke.Zip leathers up,put helmet and gloves on then full choke.Worked every time for me.
MaroonMachine

Post by MaroonMachine »

Good idea to have an optimate trickle charger :biggrin
Not So lean,Not so mean,Ex-Maroon Machine
Rhughes945

Post by Rhughes945 »

The optimiser is going on tonight, may even see if I can fit the bike into the house through the side door :lol: (What's the bet on my mother in law saying 'no')

Also got an AGM battery on it's way, should also help.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rhughes945 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:45 pm The optimiser is going on tonight, may even see if I can fit the bike into the house through the side door :lol: (What's the bet on my mother in law saying 'no')

Also got an AGM battery on it's way, should also help.
A bit late now I guess :wink:

A lot of us who still have Storms use a bigger amp hour battery, as these big twins do like a good battery to get them fired up, especially on cold mornings as you mentioned earlier.
I use on my bike ( a 1999 model with the 16ltr fuel tank ) a Yuasa YTX14-BS battery, that is 12amp hour whereas the OEM standard battery is only 10amp hour. The only downside is it's 15mm taller, which means removing the battery box lid, it just unpins. It's fine without the lid as the way the battery is situated in the box is can't go anywhere. The Yuasa battery is a AGM type.

A good call by Alan on the battery terminal connection at the starter motor :thumbup: Just be careful not to spin the bolt if you are trying to undo the connection nuts, as if the bolt does turn you risk damaging the insulator inside the starter motor, and they are not available from Honda as a separate item 8O

Good that you are getting some help from the bike supplier regarding the sprocket nuts. Hopefully the swingarm didn't get gouged by the loose sprocket nuts as the wheel was turning :eh:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Have we been chatting on facecake about the same bike by any chance? :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Rhughes945

Post by Rhughes945 »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 pm Have we been chatting on facecake about the same bike by any chance? :thumbup:
Yes we have! Facecake indeed :lol:

New, bigger, AGM battery will arrive later.
Bike started straight up this morning, and my Mrs laughed at me for buying it a fleece blanket to put over it, under the cover :lol:
Hopefully with the combination of AGM, Oximiser and the blanket, we'll get through this winter :D
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Hey iam in Romsey and have 2 Storms, happy for you to come over and we can talk baldrocks and bikes. I did my Cat,s but my fingers are shot these days.

quite clued up on these bikes, ( no smart comments boys Please. ) :thumbup:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rhughes945 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:12 am
fabiostar wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 pm Have we been chatting on facecake about the same bike by any chance? :thumbup:

Bike started straight up this morning, and my Mrs laughed at me for buying it a fleece blanket to put over it, under the cover :lol:
Hopefully with the combination of AGM, Oximiser and the blanket, we'll get through this winter :D
Well done, you must have been doing your homework :clap:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Rhughes945 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:12 am

aahh got ya now :thumbup: . good to see the battery and of course the furry blanket done its job :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Rhughes945

Post by Rhughes945 »

bigtwinthing wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:22 am Hey iam in Romsey and have 2 Storms, happy for you to come over and we can talk baldrocks and bikes. I did my Cat,s but my fingers are shot these days.

quite clued up on these bikes, ( no smart comments boys Please. ) :thumbup:
Thanks for the offer mate! Will be good to get out soon as I have some free time.

I know I need to do MCCT's soon, but this close to Christmas I don't see it happening til next year.
I'm also thinking about swapping my Remus high levels for something a bit....tamer? I LOVE the sound, but my neighbours won't like it for long as I head off to work fairly early in the mornings.