what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Duffy1964

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Duffy1964 »

Good man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Dropped the bike off at the dealer`s yesterday to have the countershaft (one driving/holding the drive sprocket) replaced. It seems it was slightly bent (could have been from a brain-dead tech at another dealership who drastically overtightened the chain a couple years back while servicing soemthing else, or perhaps from the broken chain a couple months back, when it got wedged between the sprocket and swingarm pivot). It sucks (money-wise) but then the original bearing (which is pressed on the shaft, the shaft and bearing being sold as a unit) had 260,000 km on it so replacing it may be a good move in the long run. As the engine will have to be pulled, I am getting the valves (and cam chain tension) adjusted at the same time, as well as having the shock serviced, linkage greased and exhaust re-wrapped. Given it`s a slow time of year for the shop, I should get it back rather quickly, in time to get a few more rides in before Old Man Winter rolls in. I hope/expect the bike to be a bit smoother after the shaft replacement...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Fingers crossed that you can still get out on it and at least test it after all the major work.
It was still warm in Toronto when I left on Friday. Hopefully it’ll stick around a little longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

mik_str wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:17 pm Dropped the bike off at the dealer`s yesterday to have the countershaft (one driving/holding the drive sprocket) replaced. It seems it was slightly bent (could have been from a brain-dead tech at another dealership who drastically overtightened the chain a couple years back while servicing soemthing else, or perhaps from the broken chain a couple months back, when it got wedged between the sprocket and swingarm pivot). It sucks (money-wise) but then the original bearing (which is pressed on the shaft, the shaft and bearing being sold as a unit) had 260,000 km on it so replacing it may be a good move in the long run. As the engine will have to be pulled, I am getting the valves (and cam chain tension) adjusted at the same time, as well as having the shock serviced, linkage greased and exhaust re-wrapped. Given it`s a slow time of year for the shop, I should get it back rather quickly, in time to get a few more rides in before Old Man Winter rolls in. I hope/expect the bike to be a bit smoother after the shaft replacement...
heres hoping alls well :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

thanks guys. Hopefully I will get it back by week's end... no snow here yet, lol (though Calgary, in Western Canada, got a freak storm which dumped over 30 cm)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Completed tyre change and fitting a new rear was a breeze compared to removing it😬. None of the Internet help was any use until I wedged the beads in the rim centre with offcuts of wood. Only then could I spoon it off. Front is half scrubbed in and looks like it's dry enough Saturday to do the rear...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:17 pm Dropped the bike off at the dealer`s yesterday to have the countershaft (one driving/holding the drive sprocket) replaced. It seems it was slightly bent (could have been from a brain-dead tech at another dealership who drastically overtightened the chain a couple years back while servicing soemthing else, or perhaps from the broken chain a couple months back, when it got wedged between the sprocket and swingarm pivot). It sucks (money-wise) but then the original bearing (which is pressed on the shaft, the shaft and bearing being sold as a unit) had 260,000 km on it so replacing it may be a good move in the long run. As the engine will have to be pulled, I am getting the valves (and cam chain tension) adjusted at the same time, as well as having the shock serviced, linkage greased and exhaust re-wrapped. Given it`s a slow time of year for the shop, I should get it back rather quickly, in time to get a few more rides in before Old Man Winter rolls in. I hope/expect the bike to be a bit smoother after the shaft replacement...
I agree that does sound like a good plan to get it replaced now Micky.

It would be good if you can get it back in time for a test ride this year, hopefully you can :thumbup:

Chris.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Have my a good going over yesterday. Fairings off. Checking everything. Topping up the coolant. Greasing the starter motor terminal. Also fixed my gpi. It stopped working a month ago. Traced all the wiring until I found a broken wire. All fixed now. Painted the mirrors. Fairings back on and polished. Just need to check the tyre pressures and I'm off out for a ride.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

agentpineapple wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:45 am Have my a good going over yesterday. Fairings off. Checking everything. Topping up the coolant. Greasing the starter motor terminal. Also fixed my gpi. It stopped working a month ago. Traced all the wiring until I found a broken wire. All fixed now. Painted the mirrors. Fairings back on and polished. Just need to check the tyre pressures and I'm off out for a ride.
Are you abroad or back in the UK Marty :?:

Chris.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:18 pm
agentpineapple wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:45 am Have my a good going over yesterday. Fairings off. Checking everything. Topping up the coolant. Greasing the starter motor terminal. Also fixed my gpi. It stopped working a month ago. Traced all the wiring until I found a broken wire. All fixed now. Painted the mirrors. Fairings back on and polished. Just need to check the tyre pressures and I'm off out for a ride.

Chris.
still living abroad chris...... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

agentpineapple wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:48 pm

Chris.
:thumbup: Good for you Marty, you probably have a better chance of more settled weather :wink:

Although I got a ride-out in today with good dry sunny conditions :D
Not bad for October, temp around 16C,

Chris.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:35 pm

Chris.
:thumbup: Good for you Marty, you probably have a better chance of more settled weather :wink:

Chris.
Only 27 and sunny here today mate. I'm blessed with great weather and fantastic roads. Oh and cheap fuel. Cheap beer. Cheap food lol
Glad to hear that you got a ride in today. Not long before winter hibernation up there mate
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nothing more than taking the long way to the garage for fuel :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

agentpineapple wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:40 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:35 pm

Chris.
Only 27 and sunny here today mate. I'm blessed with great weather and fantastic roads. Oh and cheap fuel. Cheap beer. Cheap food lol
Glad to hear that you got a ride in today. Not long before winter hibernation up there mate
Excellent Marty :thumbup:

Enjoy it mate, all of that sounds ideal :D

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Whipped the fairing off to check/replace the bulbs in the clocks...Sadly it's getting dark on me way in to work in the mornings & I seem to be missing any illumination in the clocks...

Duff bulb in speedo so replaced with an LED...

Checked the oil, kicked the tyres & tightend, clean & lube the chain...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...