Oil seal broken behind front sprocket

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Tourist

Oil seal broken behind front sprocket

Post by Tourist »

Hi, wanted to pick your brain with this problem. No oil leaking but I would like to fix the seal somehow without changing it entirely.

Any thoughts?

E.Marquez

Re: Oil seal broken behind front sprocket

Post by E.Marquez »

seal.jpg
As long as it is not leaking oil from the three possible leak points (red stars) there is nothing to fix.
The rubber coating missing from the outer edge of the seal steel shell (green mark) has no effect at all on the seals serviceability. At some point grit, string, something was likely packed up behind the sprocket and it wiped the rubber off the steel shell.

As you live in a location that seems to turn bikes in to corroded rust buckets, I suppose protecting the steel shell from rusting might be worth a few minutes of time ...but getting paint to stick will be tough.... Id likely clean with brake clean, acetone, or the like on a rag...dont soak, just wipe it down.. then put a VERY thin layer of RTV over the exposed steel. DO not gob it on...just enough to coat.
Last edited by E.Marquez on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Tourist

Re: Oil seal broken behind front sprocket

Post by Tourist »

I cleaned it and applied a thin layer of RTV. Hopefully a more frequent cleaning of the sprockets backside will help prevent any further damage.

I suspect that the previous owner never cleaned that part and all the added chainlube, sand and other things just broke the seal like you said