Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:38 pm I had another think & decided to study the loom on the bike & search for repairs or signs of fiddling that might be the cause.

At the 9 & 6 pin plugs (clock connections) loom side there was signs of new black tape so Undid it :eek2 An issue was instantly spotted. All the wires had been cut & soldered back together :crazy: There was a green/yellow that turned into a green & a green that turned into a green/yellow :wtf:

I cut & soldered them properly then I lost the rev counter & milage :lol: Enough was enough so I stripped the bad loom out & tossed it across the garden.

An hour later I had the bike running with a new loom & all the instruments are now working. :D

Fab :thumbup:
Excellent news :clap: Well done in getting to the root of the problem :thumbup:

The person who soldered the wires together must have been colour blind :shh:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Top class sir. :clap: :clap: its always the stupid things isnt it?..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Glad you sussed it fella. Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Cheers guys :thumbup:

I knew something would halt progress, I just didn't think it was a fiddler loom :roll: eBay I suppose, some you win some you loose.

Btw, well done on you two sorting your bikes out. Duffy's looking really tidy & thank god fabio took my advice & replaced the spark plugs :lol: :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Apparently many auto cct fail after a long stand making this engine a high risk candidate.

Now I know that it's alive I needed some of these & they arrived the other day.

£27 quid for a pair from China. Not too bad.

I might remove the roll pinned top nut & replace the locknut it with a nylock.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

they actually look well made those? :thumbup:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Nice one

Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:50 pm Apparently many auto cct fail after a long stand making this engine a high risk candidate.

Now I know that it's alive I needed some of these & they arrived the other day.

£27 quid for a pair from China. Not too bad.

I might remove the roll pinned top nut & replace the locknut it with a nylock.
You can't complain about the price.

Out of interest what diameter is the adjusting bolt if you don't mind me asking, 8mm 10mm :?:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's an M8 standard thread, no need for anything larger.
Actually an M6 would do the job well enough, so an M8 is already overkill.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Hi Chris, sorry for not replying sooner but Tony has stepped in & answered. Thanks Tony :thumbup:

Right then, It's taken a while but I've eventually bought a SV650 radiator. They were £69.99 each & I was not going to pay that, I offered £40 & ended up buying one for £47.

I was made up, bargain.. er, nope. The following day they were all £49.99 or nearest offer.. bollox..

Anyway, it's arrived & it looks good. It's physically the same size as one vtr radiator it's just missing the unrequired third outlet.

Here's some pictures.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:05 pm It's an M8 standard thread, no need for anything larger.
Actually an M6 would do the job well enough, so an M8 is already overkill.
Varastorm wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:03 pm Hi Chris, sorry for not replying sooner but Tony has stepped in & answered. Thanks Tony :thumbup:
I must apologise too for not replying sooner :eh:

Thanks for the INFO gentlemen :thumbup:

Vara, your new rad looks nice and shiny :)

Chris.
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Nice rad looking forward to seeing it fitted

Duffy1964
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

any more news on this beasty?? :thumbup:
Japcati

Post by Japcati »

Fantastic build so far.
Any updates?
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Hi guys, not really much to update on the build tbh. I've mostly been completing little jobses that are time consuming but needed sorting before I felt I could move forward.

Also the cameras knackered, no amount of bashing on the bench fixed it either pfff..

First job was that the Weber dcoe 6mm trumpet fastening threaded holes had been drilled out to 8mm god knows why.
A length of 8mm od 6mm id stainless tube was purchased & four 10.5mm long tubes were turned down to insert into the oversized holes enabling the recently purchased shorter trumpets to fit & bolt up correctly & they allow me to also fit the 100mm deep K&N filter.

I also drilled out the air corrector jets to 200 (2mm) from 160 (1.6mm) as recommended.

I was also stuck on how to fit the Cbr1100 blackbird oil cooler. It's huge, but I've managed to squeeze it between the bellypan & front header. I made a complicated stainless bracket utilising the bellpan fastening bolts. Theres not much room, about a millimeter or two either side as the bracket feeds between the starter motor & the bellypan. It was a pig to line up as there's nothing really to use as a center line, so I've gone with the middle of the bellypan & hope it's the middle of the bike. The cooler bolts up on the standard fitting rubber mounts so should be good to go.

The oil cooler pipes were another issue as they stick out at 8 o'clock & 4 o'clock forcing the pipes out wide & vulnerable. If this death trap does handle they might ground out when hard cornering. So somethig had to be done.

I was originally going to use stainless 10mm inline connectors but after hours of searching & reading I decided to go with short (cut down) all flexible oem pipes from a Cbr600 f1 Hurricane (the fittings were not used, only the pipe). The Cbr1100 cooler & VTR engine pipe fittings were removed by grinding the swages off & fittings reused.

Now many will frown about this, but for the cooler fitting I cut into the tube (under the old swage fitting) taking a wedge out of the pipe then squeezing it together & welding it back up. This corrected the pipe direction & it now points towards the engine oil cooler fitting. Difficult to explain now that the camera is broken. After careful cleaning inside the pipe there's no loose bits or restrictions that could cause any issues.

The hurricane oil pipes were then cut to length & a propane torch used to heat/melt the ends then wet fingers to mold them smooth to prevent them unraveling & give it that professional look :lol: . Sounds botchy because it is, but you'd never know if I didnt tell. Jubilee clips hold them on atm but small Mikalor W4's will be purchased & fitted.

I've also mounted the Sv650 radiator but will update on that another day (when I sort a camera)

Hope every one had a nice Christmas & Happy new year. :thumbup: