Air filter burnt hole in it

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Tickymonks

Air filter burnt hole in it

Post by Tickymonks »

Took bike to have mcct fitted mechanic has noticed a burnt hole in the air filter ,any ideas what's caused this and why please?
Wicky

Re: Air filter burnt hole in it

Post by Wicky »

Did it intake a discarded fag end?

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Another worthless blogger talking shite and wasting bandwidth FFS Maybe he should get off the bike and walk if he wants low risk. Riding a motorcycle comes with risks, man up is what I would say. I wonder if he only approaches single woman. Is he going to have a go at her if some road gravel flicks up from the tyre. Or who's he going to tell off when it's a bit of hail hit him at speed. A real biker would be smoking while riding. :crazy: Geez I've had a lit fag butt land inside my lid. I didn't blame the driver but blamed myself for having an open visor. That gets you stopping quick and whipping the lid off your head in a mad panic. The same with a Bea of Wasp. TBH I'm more concerned about her littering than the fact that it's a lit fag butt that might hit a biker unless it it was a roll up and 100% biodegradable. The chances of a lit fag getting inside the filter from a car is zero.

As for the burnt hole in your air filter it could be a bit of flame spat back up from a cylinder. It could be someone's fag dropped on it while on the floor during strip down or any number of things. Maybe there was bug on there and someone thought it would be fun to take a lighter to it and burn it off maybe the bug was smoking a fag or hot rock fallen out of a spliff :lol: If it's a bad hole then change the filter and be done with it or wait and see if it happens again.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Tickymonks

Post by Tickymonks »

I only asked as thought could be a cause of something serious, I’ve been a biker since 17 now 55 my first VTR that’s all thanks for your comments lol
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

It’s very unusual. I’ve never heard of it before... on any bike come to think of it.
The VTR is known for carb farts or backfires. If yours is doing that a lot I would look at there being a problem and investigate. If it only happens once in a while I wouldn’t worry and just replace the filter and carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Tickymonks

Post by Tickymonks »

Thanks Pete l
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It could be that someone has sprayed easy start into the airbox intake trying to get it going. Or "cleaned" the filter with something flammable.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.