Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Varastorm

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:56 pm Brilliant news Vara to hear that beast bark into life :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers Fab, it's a lot louder than the clip. I'm not exaggerating, but it's like two CR450's running next to you.
Tbh, it's awfully loud, scary nasty in a really really bad way. I really don't know what I'm going to do about it either.

I've worked all the way through Easter, so I've not had a lot of time sorting issues out, but when everyone's gone back to work & not lounging in the garden I'll crack it up again & hopefully sort this drive issue out.

Btw, glad to hear you've sorted your bikes out :thumbup: Now get out & enjoy the weather, it's all change this weekend matey, rain, wind.. Back to normal :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can make a rough and ready check by spacing out the sprocket cover using some washers and longer bolts, to mimic the shorter pushrod.

That should let you know if the clutch works OK.
If so, fit a storm pushrod.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:35 pm You can make a rough and ready check by spacing out the sprocket cover using some washers and longer bolts, to mimic the shorter pushrod.

That should let you know if the clutch works OK.
If so, fit a storm pushrod.
Brilliant idea Tony :thumbup:

I'm using a Varadero rod as there's a huge difference in length, the storm rod's a lot longer.

Totally crap day, I'm already a bottle of wine in & just popped onto the computer to see if any help has been given :thumbup: :beer:

Mega thanks :thumbup:

I'll photo the difference of size of rods too, for future reference :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I had a good look at the clutch rod & housing last night Tony & measured everything up just to make sure it all fitted together like it should & it does :thumbup: So I didn't go down the washer spacing route.

Tbh, it's quite simple how it works & it's practically impossible to put wrong, So I turned to rage :D

I started it up & now it behaves, I let it tick over & selected first, clutch out & a chain twitch was witnessed :(

Clutch in & out & in & out, then some blipping of the throttle was added to the mix. Then in & out & in & out, I then shifted it through the gears up to top :eek2 Then it started to drive forward a little. More clutching was done & you could feel the grabbing slowly getting better. So I selected a few different gears, more in & out'n all that, then back up to top & back down to first. It was now working properly but then it attempted to drive up the front wheel stand whilst spinning the rear :o

Clutch in, switch off & a glass of wine :beer:

Next time, the brakes will be tackled :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That's more like it, well done :clap:

Yes, getting the brakes working seems like a very good idea :wink:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Cheers Chris :thumbup:

Yeah, brakes next Chris. Better had I suppose since it now drives :lol: There must of been crap on the clutch plates or it's been standing for quite a while. I've never experienced this issue before.

I've just bought a Blackbird rear caliper & carrier & hopefully it'll fit on the Storms swingarm & fit the larger disc of the Varadero rear wheel. I've also had a BB oil cooler as well, not sure if it'll look too big though, we'll find out soon enough though :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Post arrived today, a bunch of Cbr1100 stuff. A more streamlined reg/rec, a rear caliper with carrier to fit the larger diameter Varadero rear disc & an oil cooler which has been damaged in the post.

The idea of running with a cbr1100 rear caliper is to keep the large rear disc (same diameter to a cbr1100) fitted to the narrow Varadero wheel for that old fashioned look. Not too sure it'll work so will update.

The caliper prior to being stripped & cleaned, to be fair it was in excellent condition bar the piston edges which came clean with a fine wire wooling.

Here's the damage to the oil cooler, bloody shame as all three items were spot on.

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I feel the above purchases were a case of 3 steps foreword 2 steps back :thumbdown:

The caliper idea was a no go as there's two much offset on the carrier. Looks as if I'll be using a wide (3 spoke) Storm rear wheel after all :roll:

Also the bashed oil cooler doesn't looked bashed to the seller :problem: :roll: Strange thing..

Pfff.. I suppose I have been lucky with a lot of things but sometimes it just pisses you off.

On a side note, I've got another problem :(

When I connect the Storm clocks to the loom & turn the ignition on, the temp sender slowly sweeps over to the "H" red ? I've tried everything I can think of but no fixy fixy.

Should I buy another thermostat housing? Could it be a faulty sender :think:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:37 pm I feel the above purchases were a case of 3 steps foreword 2 steps back :thumbdown:

The caliper idea was a no go as there's two much offset on the carrier. Looks as if I'll be using a wide (3 spoke) Storm rear wheel after all :roll:

Also the bashed oil cooler doesn't looked bashed to the seller :problem: :roll: Strange thing..

Pfff.. I suppose I have been lucky with a lot of things but sometimes it just pisses you off.

On a side note, I've got another problem :(

When I connect the Storm clocks to the loom & turn the ignition on, the temp sender slowly sweeps over to the "H" red ? I've tried everything I can think of but no fixy fixy.

Should I buy another thermostat housing? Could it be a faulty sender :think:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:
I know how you feel as I detest it when you receive a parcel that has not been wrapped up well enough to survive the postal journey :twisted: so you end up with damaged goods :thumbdown:

I'm not exactly sure what is happening with your temperature gauge. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise you on that,

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Here's another clip with the idle mixture sorted :thumbup:

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just another ebayer trying it on. I doubt that damage was caused from transport. There's a difference between the early model and later model clock sender unit. Also temp sender units are something that can play up with a third party dash so I would be inclined to start there rather than the thermostat. Don't forget there's two area's on these bikes. The little Green plug on the thermo housing and the switch on the rad.
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The rad unit turns the fan on, the thermo housing sends the signal to the temp gauge.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I've been searching for ideas as to why it's going over to "H" when I turn the ignition on but there's not much out there. I was intrested in what Carl said about the two different types of sender/gauge's & will look closer into that.

Today I replaced the electrical connection screws at the back of the oem clocks. I bought a bag of 35mm long 3mm set screws & replaced the rusty knackered originals after cleaning the circular electrical connectors. Fitted it back on the bike but no difference. Another issue is the temp gauge won't go down to cold anymore :roll: :x I give up for now, moving on..

I think the next thing to focus on is the temp sensors on the thermostat, but that'll involve a partial strip down. Exhaust, water pipes etc. so I'm going to wait & hopefully some help will come along. I've shorted the radiator fan switch Tony & the fan kicks in, so I feel a little better knowing maybe it hasn't overheated yet.

I've now reversed the bike into the shed & am focusing on the front end again. I've bled the front brakes :D & I'm looking at fitting the cbr11 oil cooler & attempting to make it fit tidily above the little oem belly pan in front of the starter.

Then hopefully swapping the radiator fan for a lower profile fan or fans. Which will allow for more room above the front wheel.

Any ideas fire away :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

The thermostat arrived this morning & I was hoping the swinging temp needle would be stopped. Nope, still the same. So it might be the clock or loom.

Next attack is the oil cooler & rad. Then strip it down & weld up the various brackets then fit another loom.

Balls :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I had another think & decided to study the loom on the bike & search for repairs or signs of fiddling that might be the cause.

At the 9 & 6 pin plugs (clock connections) loom side there was signs of new black tape so Undid it :eek2 An issue was instantly spotted. All the wires had been cut & soldered back together :crazy: There was a green/yellow that turned into a green & a green that turned into a green/yellow :wtf:

I cut & soldered them properly then I lost the rev counter & milage :lol: Enough was enough so I stripped the bad loom out & tossed it across the garden.

An hour later I had the bike running with a new loom & all the instruments are now working. :D

Fab :thumbup: