Op Track Storm 2019

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

freeridenick

Op Track Storm 2019

Post by freeridenick »

There have been some rumblings on here and Facepoop about getting a bunch of 'Storms out on track. I'm happy to try and organise something if folks are interested.

I'm guessing a weekend date would be better for most but they tend to be expensive, and busy I guess, where as the weekday ones are less so. I'm also guessing a central track would suit most people so some suggestions are below.
  • Oulton - great track with good availability and facilities. Expensive and hard to learn though.
  • Donington - another great track but facilities are a bit more cramped. Not so many dates
  • Mallory - central and usually available on Friday. Cheap enough
  • Anglesey - I love it but it's a bit exposed. Facilities are OK and camping is free. The best option for me because Jamie Whitham runs his days there and they are quiet with loads of instruction: max 20 on track with dedicated instructor per group. Expensive though, but not much more than a std day at Oulton and he runs back to back days which are brilliant for improving. A bit out of the way.
  • Cadwell - something of a classic. Crap facilities in terms of garages and hardstandings but loads of space. PS mag are running a weekend there in Sept so could be a good option and their events are a bit more chilled from what I gather.
Dates-wise there are loads of options. Oulton has weekend dates and is quite often available on Wendesdays. Cadwell seems to be every day of the week. Donington looks like Tuesdays. Anglesey has weekend dates and the JW days are either Tues/Wed or Wed/Thurs.

Any thoughts or other ideas?
KermitLeFrog

Re: Op Track Storm 2019

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I'm interested. Don't mind which circuit.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

also interested, and I like the sound of the PS track day
AMcQ
popkat

Post by popkat »

Cut off is 1995 for PS track days, they do allow later 90's bikes but you need to check with classic bike trackdays, they should allow the Storm as took mine out for a session with them, the only trouble is they say bikes later than the cut off Have to be road bikes, ie no track only bikes or track fairings.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

would bust my hump to get a proper run on any of those tracks to be honest... whats noise testing like on the mainland?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

popkat wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:22 pm Cut off is 1995 for PS track days, they do allow later 90's bikes but you need to check with classic bike trackdays, they should allow the Storm as took mine out for a session with them, the only trouble is they say bikes later than the cut off Have to be road bikes, ie no track only bikes or track fairings.
I read the same thing but I'll contact them and see if they are flexible. No track bikes would mean I'd be stuffed.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:02 pm would bust my hump to get a proper run on any of those tracks to be honest... whats noise testing like on the mainland?
Depends on the track. 105 at Anglesey and Cadwell, 102 at Oulton, 103 at Mallory. I think. Donington is something like 107 drive-by.

I pass at 101 without baffles.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

freeridenick wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm
fabiostar wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:02 pm would bust my hump to get a proper run on any of those tracks to be honest... whats noise testing like on the mainland?
Depends on the track. 105 at Anglesey and Cadwell, 102 at Oulton, 103 at Mallory. I think. Donington is something like 107 drive-by.

I pass at 101 without baffles.
A completely standard Storm is 92 dB. Mine was measured at Croft. When you consider dB is a logarithmic scale that's VERY quiet.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

A bit more info and some thoughts on dates:

Classic bike track days - I've been in touch with them and they've raised the limit to 2000 and they are happy for later 'Storms to join in provided folksremove their number plates. Which is great news generally, not just for this event. They were at pains to point out how protective they are of keeping their events for enthusiasts who want to take their pride and joy on track and (unwritten but the meaning was inescapable) not get duffed up by would-be racers on knackered old crap.

The best options for me are:
Anglesey with Jamie Whitham. 5% discount when both days are booked £370.50 (£195 single day)
2nd and/or 3rd October
17th and/or 18th August

Cadwell with Classic Bike Trackdays £258 (£139 single day)
14th and/or 15th September

Oulton with No Limits or MSVT
At least on Wednesday per month but best for me are
12th June with No Limits, £175
26th June with No Limits, £175
14th August with no Limits, £175
19th June with MSVT, £175

Donington
21st May woth No Limits, £189
13th June with MSVT, £189 (unsilenced so probably fully of proper racers)
24th June with MSVT, £139
27th June with No Limits, £189. Four group day so will be busy.

The Oulton prices make the JW days look like great value when you consider there's a dedicated instructor for each group and 20max group size. Oulton will be 40+.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Classic bike September weekend booked. I guarantee the weather will be great :lol:.