Baffles in or out?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
SterlingCG

Baffles in or out?

Post by SterlingCG »

Hello there! I've been viewing this forum for quite some time now, so I thought is was time I 'piped up' ( :lol: ) with a question.

Just had a lovely set of Carbon Can pipes put on the 'storm, oval stainless steel jobbies. They're great... I can't believe how much lighter they are than the standard ones. They were a bit of a pig to fit, and I soon abondoned the idea of re-using the existing gasket/wadding.
The bike already sounds a lot better, but my question is do I remove the baffles?!
I'm worried it's going to be too loud.

Also, if I drill out the rivits is it easy to put them back in using a couple of bolts... especially around MOT time :D
SterlingCG

Post by SterlingCG »

Cheers Kaz... you're confirming my gut instinct to take them out :)

They are rivits on mine, but wondering if a couple of the right sized bolts will aid quick removal/installing.

Thinking about it... I may not need them in for the MOT anyway, the cans will still be marked as 'Road Legal', that's the beauty of removable baffles
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

If yours has rivets, you may find there was a couple of screws in the box for screwing the baffles back in, there was in my neighbors cans
SterlingCG

Post by SterlingCG »

I'm 99% sure there wasn't... but I'll re-check. Thanks for the pointer.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Nut and bolt would be fine.
I'd recommend getting the nut tack welded to the baffle so you can just do the bolt up without having to faff about trying to get the nut in there without dropping it down the exhaust pipe!! :lol:
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
SterlingCG

Post by SterlingCG »

Now that's why it's so worth while asking questionslike that on here!!

Cheers for that gem...
SterlingCG

Post by SterlingCG »

Baffles are out... OMG, the bike sounds awesome!!

I was really in two minds about taking them out, as I didn't want the bike to be too loud, but I'm so glad i did.

It pops slightly when the throttles in and i'm slowing down, but I kinda like it.

Just been out on it (well it is sunny and I'm working from home :roll: ) and it seems to cut out now and then when at a stand still. Does anyone know what could be causing that?
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Likely candidates in order:

Carbs out of balance
Idle speed too low
VTR stutter (brake hard and the carbs can get an airlock)
Running a touch lean with the freer slowing cans

Personally I just don't bother stopping :lol:
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
SterlingCG

Post by SterlingCG »

Unfortunately there are just those times where you have to stop!

It now seems to be happening more often than not, which is becoming a real pain. It's due it's MOT soon so I'll get the guy to have a look at it then... but I'm a bit bemused that I can't rely on my bike to keep running when pulling up to traffic lights :?
BigD

Post by BigD »

Yep I did take the baffles out of my CCC cans and after a few days put them back in. Thought it sounded and ran rougher. I prefer em in :D