Windows 10 pc users?

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
sirch345
Site Admin

Windows 10 pc users?

Post by sirch345 »

Is there anyone on here that is using Windows 10 pc :?:

If so are you experiencing any problems posting on this or any other forum :?:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Re: Windows 10 pc users?

Post by AMCQ46 »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:48 pm Is there anyone on here that is using Windows 10 pc :?:

If so are you experiencing any problems posting on this or any other forum :?:

Chris.
At home I am all Apple, but my work laptop is Windows 10 and I can post no problem.... Can't see some pictures, but can see others, so I assume that there is a setting I need to change but too lazy to look for it
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Al for your reply :thumbup:

Seeing as no other than yourself has replied to my topic, and you're not experiencing any problems with your W10 pc, it makes me think it must be something still at my end. It's either that, or W10 is the majority of the time fast, so when I do experience it running slower than normal I notice it more :lol:

The issue I have that I have been trying everything under the sun to fix for the last 4mths is mainly when posting a new post or a reply, it can take 8,10,12 or 15 seconds for it to post from the time of hitting the "Submit" button. That probably doesn't sound a lot, but also sometimes the browser times out making you think your post hasn't been posted when it has. It very annoying more than anything and it doesn't happen all the time, I would say approximately 75% of the time.

As for you not being able to see some of the pictures, you may find using Firefox browser on your W10 pc with their Extension to fix the Photobucket problem may mean you can :)

Out of interest Al, can you time how long it takes to post a post from hitting the "Submit" button on your W10 pc :?: It would be helpful to see how that compares with my times above,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's most likely more of a browser issue than OS. Have you got an adblocker extension or something that blocks and controls scripts. I had issues with viewing some images the other day and it turned out that Privacy Badger was blocking so I had to allow. It's easy to forget we have these things running in the background and all it takes is for one of the sites to change something and add a new script and all of a sudden we can't view the images.
  1. Canvas Defender
  2. CipherFox
  3. Cloudhole
  4. CookieKeeper
  5. Decentraleyes
  6. Disable WebRTC
  7. EmbedUpdater
  8. FoxTor
  9. HTTPS Everywhere
  10. Live HTTP Headers
  11. Masking Agent
  12. MinorBlock
  13. NoScript
  14. Priv8
  15. Privacy Badger
  16. Privacy Settings
  17. ProfileSwitcher
  18. ShowIP
  19. VPN Browser Extension
  20. WorldIP
The things we have to do to protect ourselves these days :crazy: That's not including my customization and usability add ons. Plus the many changes in about:config
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Carl for your input :thumbup:

Since posting the problem, posting this evening has mostly been normal :lol: bl**dy typical is that.
I would say around 3 or 4 seconds to post a post which I'm happy with.

I've tried so many different things over the last 4 mths I have almost forgotten what I have and haven't tried. I have definitely tried different browsers with no change, I even installed a lightweight browser and a portable version, neither made any change.

I'll have a look into the add-ons and extensions, see if disabling them will help, but I'm pretty sure I've already tried that. I do try to keep extensions and add-ons to a minimum,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The forum has been slow and sluggish for while, I think since the last PHP update, but it could also be folk attaching images, not linking I mean directly embedding, depending on how many folk do that. There should be a 5mb limit put on them along with a cron script setup so it automatically deletes the oldest images when the images on the forum space fills to a preset level. We only have so much hosting space and bandwidth. The same should be done for older posts but the problem here is that there is still very valid and useful tech info so to just delete posts/threads after so many years would be careless. It needs manually doing, moderating by going through manually archiving and eventually deleting the rubbish and keeping the good stuff.

Also I've noticed there's sometimes a huge pause when submitting a post to the point where sometimes one may think it hasn't posted so submit again which ends with a duplicate (double) post in the thread. I'v'e had it where it looks like the page load has timed out, so I duplicate the tab and reload the thread and there it is, the post I just submitted. Go back to the other tab and my post is still sitting there looking like it's still processing.
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

testing the timing from hitting submit on my windows 10 PC using explorer
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

3 seconds
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:21 pm The forum has been slow and sluggish for while, I think since the last PHP update, but it could also be folk attaching images, not linking I mean directly embedding, depending on how many folk do that. There should be a 5mb limit put on them along with a cron script setup so it automatically deletes the oldest images when the images on the forum space fills to a preset level. We only have so much hosting space and bandwidth. The same should be done for older posts but the problem here is that there is still very valid and useful tech info so to just delete posts/threads after so many years would be careless. It needs manually doing, moderating by going through manually archiving and eventually deleting the rubbish and keeping the good stuff.

Also I've noticed there's sometimes a huge pause when submitting a post to the point where sometimes one may think it hasn't posted so submit again which ends with a duplicate (double) post in the thread. I'v'e had it where it looks like the page load has timed out, so I duplicate the tab and reload the thread and there it is, the post I just submitted. Go back to the other tab and my post is still sitting there looking like it's still processing.
You have some good points there Carl in your first paragraph, especially the size of images for directly embedding, although IMHO 5mb is still fairly large. I resize my photo's to around 200kb before posting.

Your second paragraph is exactly what I wanted to hear, that is the other side of what I have been experiencing at times too. Thanks for posting that :thumbup:
With you experiencing the same, there is a good chance it's not an issue with my pc settings etc :)
AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:10 pm testing the timing from hitting submit on my windows 10 PC using explorer
AMCQ46 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:11 pm3 seconds
Excellent Al, thanks for taking the time to do that :thumbup:

I'm now giving Internet Explorer a go myself,

Chris.
zakisbak

Post by zakisbak »

I'm Win10 and not having problems.