12000 Service

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
stevieVTR

12000 Service

Post by stevieVTR »

Anyone in the Essex/NE London area recommend a good dealer/mechanic?
I intend to do some stuff myself but dont fancy changing brake/clutch fluid, chain, etc. my nearest Honda dealer is Johns of Romford and I've had a chat with then though really can't afford to spend loads in a dealer
.... no more bike, divorce sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alan

12000 mile service

Post by alan »

Get your self a manual and get stuck in changing fluid and chains is just basic maintenance get to know your bike and tinker thats what i say :lol:
Alan
barrioplano

Post by barrioplano »

My rule of thumb is to do myself whatever I will probably do more than once -- changing brake fluid, brake pads, oil etc being the first candidates.

If I embark into something I will do only once I end up spending the same as at a dealer (including tools, time, things I break, injuries I make to myself etc.)
Last edited by barrioplano on Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

Hmm, I do bits and pieces myself already but as barrioplano says, you end up buying special tools etc... like when I changed the pads on my Golf last week £20 tool just to wind an compress the rear pistons plus loads of swearing!!!!!
b14dave

Post by b14dave »

ill do it for ya cheap and i work at johns of romford if any1 is local and wants work done pm me
Max

Post by Max »

stevieVTR wrote:Hmm, I do bits and pieces myself already but as barrioplano says, you end up buying special tools etc... like when I changed the pads on my Golf last week £20 tool just to wind an compress the rear pistons plus loads of swearing!!!!!
Been there done that on my Golf what should be easy is a tw@t of a job
Max

barrioplano

Post by barrioplano »

stevieVTR wrote:Hmm, I do bits and pieces myself already but as barrioplano says, you end up buying special tools etc...
Having said so, changing the brake/clutch fluids really requires minimal tools... and it is something I do once a year, when I see the color of the fluid has changed. The chain adjustment is not difficult but done seldom and requires at least a paddock stand, since the VTR does not have a center stand, and a torque wrench... I typically wait for it to be done when changing the rear tyre, for my case the chain slack stays within tolerance about the life of a tyre.
slim_boy_fat

Re: 12000 mile service

Post by slim_boy_fat »

alan wrote:Get your self a manual and get stuck in changing fluid and chains is just basic maintenance get to know your bike and tinker thats what i say :lol:
Alan
I hear ya but i barely get to ride my bike let alone work on it. I have two cars and an 8 month old baby to add to the mix.

Sometime its much more preferable to hand over a wedge to the dealer.

And sometime s it doesn’t actually work out any more expensive, if i have to take time off work to do maintaining i would be cheaper paying the dealers at their rates...

My bike has doe 800miles since Jan:cry: so im not overly worried about maintenance!!
It's here.........
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

Barrioplano

Adjusting the chain is not a problem, its something I do as and when needed, and was done about 600 miles ago when I took the rear tyre off when I had a puncture but actually changing the chain & sprockets means buying tools and my swear box budget might run out!!
Squiffythewombat

Re: 12000 mile service

Post by Squiffythewombat »

slim_boy_fat wrote:
alan wrote:Get your self a manual and get stuck in changing fluid and chains is just basic maintenance get to know your bike and tinker thats what i say :lol:
Alan
My bike has doe 800miles since Jan:cry: so im not overly worried about maintenance!!
LOL, your lucky, my storms done 0!!!!!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!