New starter motor

Moderator: VTRDark

Martinz

New starter motor

Post by Martinz »

The terminal on mines been welded to itself and has seen better days. After a fresh new one. :thumbup:
popkat

Re: New starter motor

Post by popkat »

Message agentpineapple, he had a refurbed one for sale last week

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Martinz

Post by Martinz »

Cheers wicky. Put an offer in.

Ahh good old david silver spares. £737. Brilliant ill take 2
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

popkat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:58 am Message agentpineapple, he had a refurbed one for sale last week

hi there
as malc said, I do have one in stock atm, but I've just left the uk for 2 to 3 weeks. and I doubt you'd want to wait that long for a replacement. just be aware that although the mitsuba sm-13 is a robust unit, I have come across several secondhand units that look fine from the outside, but have had damaged internals, that was one of the reasons I started to refurb them.
I hope you find a decent starter
atb
martin
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Martinz

Post by Martinz »

agentpineapple wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:00 pm
popkat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:58 am Message agentpineapple, he had a refurbed one for sale last week

hi there
as malc said, I do have one in stock atm, but I've just left the uk for 2 to 3 weeks. and I doubt you'd want to wait that long for a replacement. just be aware that although the mitsuba sm-13 is a robust unit, I have come across several secondhand units that look fine from the outside, but have had damaged internals, that was one of the reasons I started to refurb them.
I hope you find a decent starter
atb
martin
Hi martin. Times not an issue as the motors currently sitting on my bench await frame/ swingarm modifications

What tends to be the issue inside ? And What sort of price are you after ?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The bolt that you connect the starter cable to is held inside the motor body by a steel clip shoe, which holds the square head of the bolt and prevents it turning.
The bolt and shoe are both insulated from the body of the unit.

Two things fail, typically.
Firstly the bolt thread corrodes into the nut, and then the act of trying to undo the nut rotates the bolt in its shoe.
That shorts the current onto the body of the unit.
Secondly the insulating sleeves and washers that prevent the bolt earthing onto the casing can fail and a short occurs.
There are two other points of failure, the cable can deteriorate and then overheats trying to carry the current load.
Also, it's possible to have starter switch failures.
The relay seems mostly robust, though. I haven't heard of many relay failures.

There is one other point if you're troubleshooting starter problems, the earth cable where it bolts onto the rear of the engine can also become unsound, it just needs cleaning and tightening to give a good connection.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

hi buddy

my starters cost £60, that includes free uk shipping.
each starter is totally stripped apart, cleaned in a heated ultrasonic cleaner. and worn or broken parts are replaced before reassembly.
the outer casings are taken back to bare metal, then acid etch primed, followed by two coats of paint and another two coats of satin lacquer.
the unit is reassembled using new seals and premium starter grease.
as for issues with used units, you can often get cracked and damaged plastic isolator parts, this happens when removing the starters from the bike, if it's not done properly, also the older or higher mileage starters suffer with worn commutators and loss of insulation on the winding coil.
I've probably refurbished in excess of 50 mitsuba units. and somewhere between 10 and 20 units have had issues which have to be addressed.

atb
martin

HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!