I've got a vice....

General Biker Banter
MacV2

I've got a vice....

Post by MacV2 »

... Infact I have 3 & some mole grips...

So 4 or 5 years ago whilst doing a mouse job somewhere near Blackheath I spoted an old vice in the understair cub. I asked the lady of the house if she wanted to sell it...'No Love you can have it if its any good to you...' Result, so it is a proper old school 6'' engineers vice with quick release do dah on it. I have had mucho use out of it since I've had it & as a bonus the one I had which was also free I sold on !

Anyhoo on Sunday I was using said vice to remove some bearings from a dog bone. Tried & tested method I've done a number of times. Use a socket to drive the old bearing out by clamping it in the vice...

For some reason this particular bearing was playing hard ball & didnt want to move...Extra leaverage with a pipe over the handle...CRACK...thats got it I thinks...

Uh Oh... Frank we have a problem...

Vice 3.jpg
So I Orderd a new one on Sunday & picked it up yesterday...Just about got it in me tank bag... :lol:

Made in China which is unsurprising...Bet it wont last as long as the made in England one.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
lloydie

Re: I've got a vice....

Post by lloydie »

The old English ones are the best shame you broken it .
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

lloydie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:48 pm The old English ones are the best shame you broken it .
Yes I agree, It wouldn't supprise me if the Record ones you can still buy are made in China now though...

To be fair I expect the one I broken was quite possible 60's or even older...Even if it was made in the 70's it's still 40 years old...I'm in me 50's & I'm falling apart now... :lol: :lol:
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

You clearly do not know your own strength Mac
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You make me pround Mac carring that in your tank bag :biggrin You still have some way to go before you get to my level with carrying a trolly jack in a rucksack. That was fun going around corners :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

Cracked shoulder, cracked vice, just need to crack a good joke now Mac!
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Solarboy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:58 pm Cracked shoulder, cracked vice, just need to crack a good joke now Mac!
and crack his wallet open lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

Mine belonged to my grandfather, he was an ammunitions inspector during WW2, he knicked it from a factory in Coventry about a week before they flattened it, it's that bloody tough I reckon it would have survived the bombing.

You might be surprised by the China one, there's lots of stuff you'd think are home grown that use Chinese castings. I used to work for a firm making industrial food mixers, the castings were all from China, these machines sell in the industry for £7000-£20000 so proper stuff. The castings were bought in batches and worked out about 5-10 pence a piece 8O Cheap parts can be strong. The firm didn't pay too bad but the profit they were making they could have paid us a lot more.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Solarboy wrote:Cracked shoulder, cracked vice, just need to crack a good joke now Mac!
Pmsl ha ha ha ha
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Next time the bearings in the dog bone don't move don't go putting a length of pipe on the handle for extra leverage :problem:

Your old vice looks very much like mine (without the crack so far :wink: ) although I don't think mines a Record, it does have the quick release however,

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:15 pm
Solarboy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:58 pm Cracked shoulder, cracked vice, just need to crack a good joke now Mac!
and crack his wallet open lol
I did the new one was 65 quid !

I was gonna buy you a prezzie for the NI trip but you can Fek right off now ! :lol:
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

Looks like a good vice for £65, where do you get said crushing machine??
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Solarboy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:28 am Looks like a good vice for £65, where do you get said crushing machine??
https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-wo ... stid=55635

Order on line pick up from the store of your choice next day.

I ordered this one as I have a Magnusoson sockect set & I've been impressed with that over the years I've had it.

BTW Record Vices are still out there only now it's called Irwin Record, name bought out by Irwin prahaps...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I've just noticed your new vice Mac has a swivel base on it, that could come in handy :thumbup:

More money than your's I know, but I have always liked the look of these Clark's 140mm vice with all the swivel options

Photo taken from this link:-

Chris.