Cure for clutch rattle anyone??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
vardypeeps

Re: Cure for clutch rattle anyone??

Post by vardypeeps »

tony.mon wrote:There's only three reasons to pull the clutch on a Storm:
1- it slips under power (but try using semi-synth instead of fully-synth oil)
2- the clutch basket fingers have notches worn in them, making clutch operation jerky at the lever- won't feed out smoothly at all times, or
3- clutch locks up under full-power hard getaways, with a horrible graunching sound, and almost certainly a huge unintentional wheelie.

If it's 3, then good luck with a cure, some bikes do it and some don't.
But swapping all the clutch components, bearings, plates, etc, won't cure it, in my experience. I only got mine fixed when I changed to another engine, which didn't do it at all.

But I personally suspect play in the big bearing behind the clutch, which is an engine-out and crankcases split job.
Reason being that when I first changed my engine it was because that bearing completely self-destructed, but to be fair I thrash it on the drag strip sometimes so not really normal usage.

Pretty much all Honda clutches rattle, live with it and be glad you haven't got a dry-clutch Ducati!
Mine does number 3 if I try to set off with any briskness but does not rattle. I would think it's going to be a worn clutch basket grabbing the odd plate here and there, can be checked by removing the clutch plate pack and looking at the arms that hold them in place.
More likely this if you like doing wheelies :P
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Well I got tired of my Storm rattling like a Ducati at idle. It clucks like a chicken and has done ever since the rebuild. I have been planning on looking into this for some time. What I have actually been doing is sitting in front of my computer all winter, warmed my hands on hot mugs and procrastinated my life away. It's cold out in the shop after all.

So today I cast off my apathy, drained the oil and the coolant, pulled the clutch and reinstalled the anti-rattle gear. I had it in once before but I didn't load it correctly and so the clutch basket still had play. This time I was able to pull the gear back against the springs one full tooth. This applied some real spring tension. The result is a clutch drive gear that is as tight as a nun's buns.

I do not know how it works yet because I have a gasket on order. It will be in next Thursday before I can button it up so I will let you know.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I got it back together with the anti-rattle gear installed (correctly) with one tooth turned clockwise to load the clutch basket gear and the results are mixed.

First off the Storm is just a mechanically noisy mill so there was no change in that. It did cure the clucking and the rattle at idle. It now has a distinct gear whine when you rev the engine, much like my 5th generating VFR. It is not unpleasant and I did hear it in a video of a rider making high speed passes on his Storm. I think I will grow like it. I just have to get the body work back on it and take it for a spin.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Hey Jim,

One thing that happened when I removed the anti rattle gear from my bike is that the whine went away with it ! :thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv removed mine aswell and cant really say it sounds any different, not sure if thats a good or bad thing,
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Maybe I can't hear the whine anymore because of my loud pipes ! :thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

They all do that.
chris freckle

Post by chris freckle »

Mine is noisy also ,, I had a look a couple of months ago and the needle roller bearing in the clutch has play in it, I have spent my pounds and got a new one ,just need time to fit it. Will report when done. :?