what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
fabiostar

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by fabiostar »

touched the blue one a few times... :eek2

and ran the yellow one upto temp to keep the old girl sweet..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Out to the shed today to mess with the Dark Blue project bike. It had a snapped valve and a damaged piston. Got a piston from freeridenick a while back which was much appreciated.

Thought it would be simple enough to take one out and put the other in. I suppose it actually is but what a pain! Sump off to get at conrod from the bottom. All I can say is I am very thankful it wasn't the front piston I had to get at! Spent ages trying to curve the socket towards the top bolt but got it eventually. Piston tapped out and replacement in. Thats when the pain really started. Was so much harder to get the bolts back on!

Anyway managed to sort it and torqued up now. Had to leave it at that as it got dark. Realised today I have collected four fully functioning heads along with a full spare engine! Really had no idea I had so many. Anyway hope to stick a good front head on tomorrow and ideally she will run. I hope
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

StormyRob wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:38 pm Out to the shed today to mess with the Dark Blue project bike. It had a snapped valve and a damaged piston. Got a piston from freeridenick a while back which was much appreciated.

Thought it would be simple enough to take one out and put the other in. I suppose it actually is but what a pain! Sump off to get at conrod from the bottom. All I can say is I am very thankful it wasn't the front piston I had to get at! Spent ages trying to curve the socket towards the top bolt but got it eventually. Piston tapped out and replacement in. Thats when the pain really started. Was so much harder to get the bolts back on!

Anyway managed to sort it and torqued up now. Had to leave it at that as it got dark. Realised today I have collected four fully functioning heads along with a full spare engine! Really had no idea I had so many. Anyway hope to stick a good front head on tomorrow and ideally she will run. I hope

happy days rob the fun begins :thumbup: :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

StormyRob wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:38 pm Out to the shed today to mess with the Dark Blue project bike. It had a snapped valve and a damaged piston. Got a piston from freeridenick a while back which was much appreciated.

Yes. It's a pain but still easier than pulling the engine out.
Although it's just about possible to get to the front big end it is easier to pull the clutch off and unbolt the oil pump.
Hope you used new bolts, they are stretch bolts and can't be re used.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Firstly Tony, Thank you for advising me of that as I had no idea.

Secondly, @#$#@#$#@#$###

Raging! 😂😂😂

Just my luck. Well that is quite depressing as it means I have to do it again.

Seriously though thanks Tony
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Glad that was all caught. After tearing a VTR engine down I can also say the job would be much easier with the oil pump out of the way.
Though I would also suggest replacing the nut for the clutch, if you remove it as you need to unstake the clutch nut.

You can try to reuse the nut but with my luck I know it would end up in the same place and I wouldn't be able to re stake it and as you need a set of rod bolts anyways..... :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Better done now as any failure is catastrophic. You won't get a warning knock!

They're not expensive though, and easily available through a main dealer or David silvers.

Re the clutch nut, it depends whether the deformable part of the nut has remained intact.
If it's cracked or visibly split in that area, get a new one.

I ended up with a collection of clutches and so had several nuts to try, as long as the stakable section is adjacent to the channel after torquing it's fine to reuse.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

I will order them monday. Will just do it the same way. Once I have the engine up and running in this one its moving on after a service and mot. Have my eyes in another
macdee

Post by macdee »

charged the battery and started the bike for the first time in 2 months
All good
told you not to but oh no you knew better
daz350

Post by daz350 »

Made some caps for the fork tops.Got to make some bar end weights and replace the exhaust hanger bolts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

took mine for a 100 mile ride down to the mediterranean and back, bloody windy as hell on the coast. but it was a nice 20 degree's and sunny. I was riding with a couple of expats, one was on a Honda 1800cc cruiser thingy and the other a crf 250cc couldn't get s stranger group if you tried. I kept my speed down so we all stayed together :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Today, i removed the cat, removed the Long Standard cans and fitted the Short Tor Exhausts, Holy cow, the noise is phenomenal, superb low growl at tickover and just plain mental at 4000 revs, It truly sounds amazing.

The engine spins up a bit quicker too and Ive done the obligatory 12 mins idle without touscing it to allow the sensors to reset. Quick blast up the road. bloody awesome. Then spent 2 hrs cleaning it :clap: :o

i thought my Storm was loud but this is something else. You can all hear it in May.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i may have added another storm frame to the cave :eek2 :eek2
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Fabio really can't help his illness

My bike has been sitting for maybe a month and a half. She had to spend the night in the rain for the first time as the shed is a mess. Anyway I went to start her today and she fired up innediately without even a hint of choke which I couldn't quite believe! Very pleased with that.

Ordered a couple of con rod bolts. Once the othet bike is running it will be for sale pretty cheap as I got it cheap. Have my eyes on another but think the price will go too high to make shipping worthwhile.
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Fitted carbon fibre tank cover first thing of many coming up over the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk