Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Varastorm

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by Varastorm »

Thanks Chris, bit slow in actual building at the moment though.

Same thing went on last year, all the major thinking for the flat tracker went on about now. It's a cracking time to get things I really want instead of the usual crap/presents, jumper, socks I really need :lol:

I've been busy searching things I'll need & I'm happy with the bits I've bought.

But, I didn't really think about the header manifolds. I feel that after all this stainless pipework faf, I can't really have oem mild steel flanges :roll:

So I've been looking into what would be needed to make some nice looking header flanges. The items I've seen & want to copy are from a recently sold on eBay rc51 exhaust.

They are similar in design to the titanium Arrow Cbr600 set up I have & looks so god dam good with all those springs.

This is what I'm thinking of.

Buying a short 300mm length of Stainless bar 65mm wide 8-10mm thick to make the flanges (The oem Vtr items are 62mm wide flanges).

Buying/making some 3mm wall 51mm od pipe & cutting 2 pieces to 20mm lengths. These will be welded to the engine side of the flanges.

Then buy/make some 1.5mm'ish walled 45mm id pipe to be welded to the outer side of the flanges. These will be used as stubbs for the header pipes to locate in. Hopefully these will assist with the on & off setting up the exhaust when it's been fabricated.

I feel It's safe to say this exhaust faf is snowballing out of control :eek2
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

snowballing? you mean snow balled way outa control :lol: :lol:..
but thats what winter is for......carry on il get my coffee here..... :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:10 am snowballing? you mean snow balled way outa control ..
I know Fab, bit embarrassing really but hey ho, I mean ho ho ho..

Anyhoo, more bits arrived on the post mans sleigh today.

The 1250mm length of stainless arrived, I was a bit worried the tube & bend diameters would be different.

Some sell their product in Metric & some sell in Imperial. They both state 45mm & with both countries (China/UK) using the metric system, I was surprised to find they are actually 1.750".

So long as they're both the same it'll look okay, it's just the id of the link pipe/header pipe bits I need to be a good fit.

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

The postman's sleigh arrived again this morning.

Now me being a stickler for the "no opening of prezzies before Christmas morning" protocol, I was torn..

Do I wait & risk ruining Christmas for myself & everyone around me? Or open them now to check all's good? But ruin my own surprise :think:

I waited 57 seconds & careful fingering of the boxes ensued. Low & behold, one box felt shorter than the other & had a little bit of damage.

Here's the evidence :D

Sorry for all the pictures, but for £35.98. for the pair I was made up.

Just don't mention to the wife I've has a peek :wink:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Since buying the silencers, I've been looking at lots of SC Project exhausts & I've noticed that if it wasn't for the huge diameter link pipe to the silencer (if you can call it that) it would look even sillier.

This has made me think about the link pipe diameter & the diameter choices that the exhaust link pipes offer.

I'll quickly add that I've just ordered a small 500mm length of 48mm stainless pipe for joining things together & for sliding 45mm inside.

This 48mm pipe should also allow my "leftover inlet" 1.5mm walled 51mm pipe to slide nicely over that. So if it fits & looks okay I could "megaphone" from 45mm to 48mm to 51mm then into the silencers.

Or should I go straight into the silencers with 45mm?

What do you recon ?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Taper it it’ll look much better
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

lloydie wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:32 am Taper it it’ll look much better
It won't be a nice funnel taper though Lloydie, hopefully it will look nice but more of a stepped taper.

In hindsight, It would of been better to make the whole thing out of 48mm pipe. 45mm manifolds out of the heads, then the rest 48mm up until the final run to the silencer's then a 51mm step. The cost would of been huge though, as I can't find cheap 48mm Chinese mandrel bends.

Btw, when I say cheap I don't mean quality. The finish of the Chinese sanitary piece's is far superior to the pipe I'm buying from the UK.

Anyhoo, the postman's sleigh arrived at mine again today..

The 500mm length of 48mm diameter pipe arrived, same as before I had to open & check it :wink:

Eger to see if the idea of slip fitting 3 different diameters would work, I popped to the shed & cleaned the ends up to see.

Initially the 48mm wouldn't slide over the 45mm piece, bugger. Then I decided to flip ends with the 48mm.

Perfect, slid in so nicely :eek2 :redface

One end of the 48mm did have a dink/flat but that's no big issue because it will force on by hand for a weld joint.

The slip fit is as good, if not the same as the Cbr600 Arrow setup I have.

I'm made up tbh, If it works for them.. :D :thumbup:

Next on the to do list is find quality cheap stainless exhaust springs & then fabricate some spring hoops out of 1mm tig rod wire bent over a 6" nail. It's coming together slowly :thumbup:

Good job I checked the pipe though, otherwise Christmas could of been wrecked :beer:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Apparently Santa had to make an extra trip especially for you, all because of the extra weight he was not expecting to be carrying :wink: :problem: :lol:

I luv the look of the end can's, an amazing price.

I won't mention anything to your wife..........................................................MRS VARA are you there :?: :shh: :lol:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:58 pm Apparently Santa had to make an extra trip especially for you, all because of the extra weight he was not expecting to be carrying
Just had a text from Santa :roll: about a 52mm pipe upgrade for Rudolph :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

loving this pipe work. those cans for what you payed are top totty :clap: :clap:

its gona make ears weep :thumbup: :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 pm loving this pipe work. those cans for what you payed are top totty :clap: :clap:

It's going to be interesting to hear them Fabio, could be good, could be bad.

Just wish Kenmoore would get a sound clip of his setup up.

It's getting expensive too, especially with Christmas only 19 days away :eek2
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Varastorm wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:26 pm
fabiostar wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 pm loving this pipe work. those cans for what you payed are top totty :clap: :clap:

It's going to be interesting to hear them Fabio, could be good, could be bad.

Just wish Kenmoore would get a sound clip of his setup up.

It's getting expensive too, especially with Christmas only 19 days away :eek2
lets just hope santa is good this year :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

The sleigh pulled up yet again today, I was out front sweeping carrot remains from yesterdays visit..

Here's today's goodies, all £16.58p of them. had to have a look-see to check all's good. Just in case Christmas gets ruined :wink:

Same idea as the inlet manifold, they'll be drilled with 10mm holes to gain access to the butt jointed tubes & then tack welded together :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Just ordered some of these.

Motorcycle Exhaust Mounting Springs Fully Rotatable 64MM Stainless Steel.

Had a check & they're the same size as the ones that came with the silencers.

Bit shocked with the amount though, 10 packs of 4.. Time for a chat in the mirror me thinks :oops: :redface

40 springs, £15.56p delivered.

Watch out Akrapovic, here I come :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:43 pm
sirch345 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:58 pm Apparently Santa had to make an extra trip especially for you, all because of the extra weight he was not expecting to be carrying
Just had a text from Santa :roll: about a 52mm pipe upgrade for Rudolph :lol:
Ooooooo that sounds painful :eh: :lol:

It's surprising what you need to build this exhaust system.

I can now see how the cost rockets up,

Chris.