Carb needle options

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Carb needle options

Post by jchesshyre »

Whilst I've had my carbs off to do my valve clearances I've been overhauling them and doing a couple of mods as per Hawk8541's instructions - some extra washers under the needles and blocking one hole in the front slide. I've also replaced all o-rings and gaskets.

I've noticed a little wear on the needles - see photos below - so I'd like to replace them at some point. It doesn't look as if OEM ones are available new, so unless I get some used ones, what are the best options for new needles if I want to keep as close as possible to the stock profile?

VTRDark

Re: Carb needle options

Post by VTRDark »

You can get the OM needles but they are country specific. Different profiles for diffrent countries so be careful. TBH if you going to get new needles you may as well get some adjustable aftermarkets. Either Dyno jet, Factory Pro or others. You may want to reconsider the slide hole, once drilled there is no going back. Well you can fill it but it will never be the same again. You have to take into consideration what velocity stacks you running too.
==============================Enter the Darkside
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

VTRDark wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:02 pm You can get the OM needles but they are country specific. Different profiles for diffrent countries so be careful. TBH if you going to get new needles you may as well get some adjustable aftermarkets. Either Dyno jet, Factory Pro or others. You may want to reconsider the slide hole, once drilled there is no going back. Well you can fill it but it will never be the same again. You have to take into consideration what velocity stacks you running too.
have to disagree on this; I have drilled and filled numerous times and all is well. Just make sure you use a reliable filler (I use epoxy) and lightly sand to get the surface smooth afterwards. I have experimented with just about every possible lift hole combination over the years (from a single hole to four, to various combos with custom size holes)...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Thanks, well I'll investigate these options.

N.B. I've filled one hole in the front slide, as per Hawk8541's setup instructions, not drilled one!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Same here Mik I've used epoxy resin but it not the same as it has epoxy in it :lol: I'm going to be doing some carb work myself soon. They need a good scrub and clean up. I'm tempted to make some carbon plates and fit some Ti bolts. What do you think about this stuff Mik.

Eastwood Carb Renew
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

never used the carb cleaning stuff, sorry. I am, however, running carbon plates, along with a selection of aluminum (long M6 through bolts) and titanium bolts.... no problems....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

So, does anyone know if any of these needles http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/carb ... edle-data/ are right for our carbs? I can't see any codes that sound like our A1UC etc so I assume Honda used their own codes - reading the thread 'Deciphering the Keihin needle code' hasn't got me very far : / I'd rather not get a full Factory Pro kit as I only really need the needles, so if I can't get them on Allens Performance I'll need to order OEM ones (which, it turns out, are available).
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I shall be opening my spare carbs tomorrow and I think I have some OM needles in there. If I have I shall stick them in the post for you. I shall get back to you tomorrow and let you know.
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

I had look today and sorry I haven't got any..I thought I did :(

[edit] why am I seeing Solarboys avatar. :roll: forum glitch? It should be mine....me...VTRDark

Wohhhh the mystery thickens WTF

If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Some markets have different needles front and rear.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

VTRDark wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:01 am I shall be opening my spare carbs tomorrow and I think I have some OM needles in there. If I have I shall stick them in the post for you. I shall get back to you tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks very much for the offer and no worries : )

VERY odd about the forum glitch!
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:03 pm Some markets have different needles front and rear.
As far as I can see from looking on Fowlers and Partzilla, and in the Honda manual, earlier UK bikes had A1UD front and A1UC rear, and then from 2001 onwards they changed to A1UF front and A1UE rear (slightly longer). It seems that US ones used these longer ones in all models. Mine, a '98 model, has the shorter ones. I wish I knew what these codes actually mean! And I'd also give lots to be able to read some of the internal Honda memos about the decisions that led to these choices...and all the other little details on these bikes!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yes fuelling was one of the changes in later models. I've heard talks that they put a +4 advancer on too but have yet to see the evidence but believe they may have done the equivalent by adjusting the curve in the Ignition Control Module. All minor changes...nothing major.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Well, although both Fowlers and Lings say the needles for a '98 UK model are no longer available, David Silver say they can be special ordered, so I've ordered a pair (and a pair of emulsion tubes). I'm half expecting them to come back to me saying they're not available, in which case I'll be going for a US pair from Partzilla.