Mid MCCT Job - Rounded Head

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Brapscallion

Mid MCCT Job - Rounded Head

Post by Brapscallion »

Evening all,

Firstly, thank you so much for all of the information made available on here by fellow Storm owners. Recently picked up an '05 Storm and have decided to undertake the MCCT job despite almost entirely negligible mechanical experience 8O :lol:. That said, I've surprised myself in making good, albeit slow, progress in swapping out my CCTs :thumbup:.

Currently at point 4 in part 2 of VTRDark's MCCT Installation Guide, having removed the cam chain cover and the cam chain guard. So close!... but I have rounded one of the cam cap bolt heads, pictured, and am at a loss as to how to proceed :think:.
Rounded bolt.
Rounded bolt.
20170619_190550.jpg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 3142 times
Rounded bolt location.
Rounded bolt location.
20170619_190828.jpg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 3142 times

Firstly, is it absolutely necessary to remove the cam cap covers? If not, I will proceed with cable tieing the cam chain and removing and replacing the CCT as instructed! :biggrin

If so, what would you advise as the best method for removing and replacing this troublesome bolt? I have limited tools and an even more limited budget (hence undertaking the job in the first place). As such, I don't have a heat gun, drill, punch or saw. Shock tactics haven't worked and nor has optimistic use of flat mole grips :(.

Thank you so much for your tutorials, advice, and time Will upload a couple of pics once the bike is reassembled (due 2019 :lol:). Based in Mandurah, WA.

Cheers,
Brapscallion
Last edited by Brapscallion on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wicky

Re: Mid MCCT Job - Rounded Head

Post by Wicky »

Firstly, is it absolutely necessary to remove the cam cap covers?
Shouldn't need to when just fitting manual tensioners. Were you aiming to measure valve clearances?

But now it's knackered it's a good time to replace the bolt with a new un - I'd tap it round with a drift punch - lefty loosey. Might be worth investing in some decent quality 3/8 metric sockets for your toolkit to prevent any further damage on other nuts & bolts.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Brapscallion

Post by Brapscallion »

Thanks for the advice mate!

Wasn't intending to measure valve clearances, though, at 45000km and limited service history, presume this would be advised? Unsure if I should cut my losses as I'm already operating at the utmost limits of my ability here.

Have a decent socket set, despite lack of other tools, so only have myself to blame with user error! Had used a 10mm socket for the others without difficulty, but after checking the kit, realised I don't actually have a 3/8. Will pick one up ASAP!
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Brapscallion wrote:Thanks for the advice mate!

Wasn't intending to measure valve clearances, though, at 45000km and limited service history, presume this would be advised? Unsure if I should cut my losses as I'm already operating at the utmost limits of my ability here.

Have a decent socket set, despite lack of other tools, so only have myself to blame with user error! Had used a 10mm socket for the others without difficulty, but after checking the kit, realised I don't actually have a 3/8. Will pick one up ASAP!
Woah there!. The 3/8 business just refers to the size of the square drive. I am presuming you only have 1/2" drive sockets but that's not a problem. Your problem may be that you have used a worn (or shoddy) 12 point socket which has rounded the bolt off. I don't know the size of the bolt head (ooops, just seen it's a 10mm) off the top of my head, someone on here will know, but go down your friendly motor factors and buy a decent 6 point socket in that size. You may have to tap it on the bolt but it will grip much better than a 12 point and you may get the bolt out with it.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Brapscallion

Post by Brapscallion »

Roger roger! I hear you loud and clear! Have truly shown how green I am now! :oops: :mrgreen:

You're correct in assuming that I only half a 1/2 drive socket set with 12-point sockets! Will see where a 6-point socket gets me before fannying about with more awkward solutions. Thanks for the correction Kermit! :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Also tap it north and south and east and west to break the head's grip on the aluminium under it.
Not too hard!
You don't want to shear the head off, although if you did the stud left would probably come out with mole grips.
Last edited by tony.mon on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Watty

Post by Watty »

What they said, but cover cam chain area with cloth in case you loose something down there! That would give you more to do :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Rounded nuts ?

Get a set of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Expert ... SwjDZYlyYh

I bought a set & they do what they say on the tin. As you turn the bar/ratchet, they cut in & grip...Trust me they work ! :thumbup:

I'm sure I bought a kit with only 4 bits in, I'll have a dig & see if I can find a link...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Now it's rounded a little have you tried an imperial size socket on it I stead. I had some rusted header bolts that rounded on a metric socket, had an imperial that fitted tighter and it did the job
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Firstly, is it absolutely necessary to remove the cam cap covers?
Shouldn't need to when just fitting manual tensioners. Were you aiming to measure valve clearances?
It's only the one bolt from each cap that holds the Guide in place to gain access to the chain.

@Brapscallion well done in accomplishing what you have so far. We have all rounded bolts off in our time so don't kick yourself too hard. Be careful when it comes to tightening those bolts back up too and don't overtighten as they can snap especially if applying to much pressure with a 1/2 inch ratchet. A 6 point socket will get you out of this little hickup.

Well done for giving it a go with no previous experience. :clap: :clap: Must seem a daunting task to you.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Brapscallion

Post by Brapscallion »

Thanks for the feedback all. A quick trip to the shops to get a six-point 10mm socket was all that it took to persuade the offender in question!

The MCCTs have now been fitted, which can surprise no-one more than myself! :lol: About to start putting the old girl back together, and try to keep the number of sheared bolt heads down to less than 2 :whatever :lol: (not to worry too much, was only the bolt that supports the petcock hanger, can address that problem later).
VTRDark wrote:Well done for giving it a go with no previous experience. :clap: :clap: Must seem a daunting task to you.
You're not wrong there, though I've picked up a good deal of knowledge along the way! I would normally have avoided this sort of process, but necessity begot motivation to undertake it, as there was no way I could fork out the $$$ to pay someone who actually knew what they were doing!

Couldn't have done it without your in-depth guide and the friendly advice of the forum, so thanks very much for all that!

Best crack on... let's aim for re-assembly by mid-late August and hope for the best... :biggrin
Brapscallion

Post by Brapscallion »

Okay, final noob question...

I may have fitted the paper gasket on my rear MCCT the wrong way round. The gaskets provided had a brown paper side and a green side, and I THINK I may have fitted the green side outwards, rather than inwards, as ever so slightly visible in this picture.
Paper gasket just visible.
Paper gasket just visible.
20170620_110313.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 3056 times
Flip it? :sad2 :think:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Personally I would leave it alone. If the engine starts without horrid noises and the gasket does not leak. Leave it alone.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Brapscallion

Post by Brapscallion »

Thanks again, Kermit :thumbup:.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote: Well done for giving it a go with no previous experience. :clap: :clap: Must seem a daunting task to you.
+1
I couldn't agree more, well done Brapscallion.

Remember to turn the engine over by hand a good few turns before pressing the start button, just to make sure all the valves clear the pistons.

Good luck,

Chris.