Thinking of buying a Viffer....

General Bike chat
Stevo Kifaru

Thinking of buying a Viffer....

Post by Stevo Kifaru »

I could really do with your help, I've been having trouble with my VTR so much lately that I need a back up bike I think. Looking at a 95 VFR750, with 63K on the clocks, what would I need to look out for?
The seller has the usual blurb of regularly serviced etc, MOT till 9/4/18, but what should I look/listen for that might mean I should walk away sharpish?
I'm on the short side (5'5") & seem to recall the newer shape 750s were bigger than the original ones, is there a way to lower them, drop the shock down a bit, sculpt out the seat etc? I'm going to drive it home for about 30 miles so would like to feel comfortable on it as quick as possible.
Thanks for reading
Watty

Re: Thinking of buying a Viffer....

Post by Watty »

Bullet proof bike mate, I'm only 5'7" and short in the leg and manage OK. Imo sculpt the seat if anything as lowering affects handling too much!!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Stevo Kifaru

Post by Stevo Kifaru »

I currently have my VTR on the 2nd lowest adjustment on the shock, I'm used to the way it handles, so when we replaced the shock because of the pothole that destroyed it & the shock linkage the mechanic didn't adjust it down from the fourth notch & I could feel the difference immediately & didn't like it at all. I might take a c-spanner with me just in case.

I know VFRs go for upwards of 100K which is why I'm confident of at least considering buying this highish mileage one. This one comes with a Givi box & rack as well, all for less than a grand, so a bit of a bargain I think.
podman

Post by podman »

Ive no doubting the motor will be fine but a £1000 bike soon becomes a £1500+ bike if the chassis needs bearings, the suspension is shot and it needs chain, sprockets and tyres...thats what i would focus on even more than the engine perhaps.
Stevo Kifaru

Post by Stevo Kifaru »

podman wrote:Ive no doubting the motor will be fine but a £1000 bike soon becomes a £1500+ bike if the chassis needs bearings, the suspension is shot and it needs chain, sprockets and tyres...thats what i would focus on even more than the engine perhaps.
His list: "The bike is in good running order and rides well. Full s/s exhaust, good battery, brake calipers overhauled pistons and seals replaced and front pads. almost new tyres, good chain and sprockets and a recent throttle cable. The last service was a full one including plugs and air filter, brake and clutch fluid,coolant and oil and filter. "
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Stevo Kifaru wrote:
podman wrote:Ive no doubting the motor will be fine but a £1000 bike soon becomes a £1500+ bike if the chassis needs bearings, the suspension is shot and it needs chain, sprockets and tyres...thats what i would focus on even more than the engine perhaps.
His list: "The bike is in good running order and rides well. Full s/s exhaust, good battery, brake calipers overhauled pistons and seals replaced and front pads. almost new tyres, good chain and sprockets and a recent throttle cable. The last service was a full one including plugs and air filter, brake and clutch fluid,coolant and oil and filter. "
That's not a full service!
Depending on which model, the valve clearances can be expensive as it requires a pin/tool to hold the VTec in position allowing proper measurement of the clearances.
Suggest you get a price on a valve clearance check and knock down accordingly.

You can do the job yourself, but it's a bit more difficult than the Storm.

I don't know if this applies to all models though; I have only worked on one which is a later 800 owned by a friend.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

No V-TEC on a 750 Tony..

The stainless exhaust is a good point as the original would have rotted years ago but check for leaks and cracks as getting them off can be a very big job.

The rear hub can seize which will mean your not able to adjust the chain, this is a pain of a job to sort out so ask the owner to demonstrate chain adjustment.

Valve clearances will probably be ok, it's a VFR, early ones need adjustment every now and then but later ones with shims less so.

Rear suspension linkages should have been greased, check for up/down play.

Check the MOT for any advisories and ask if they have been fixed, unless you know your stuff possibly not best to buy a highish mile one with a short MOT.

Other than that they are pretty good bikes, as with any Honda (any bike really) reg/rec can fail.

I have a 60000 mile VFR and apart from tired suspension it ride like something much newer and still looks ok.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Stevo Kifaru

Post by Stevo Kifaru »

I took the plunge & bought the VFR750, kind of gutted I missed out on a 97 VTR with 33k on the clock for £1100 the night before, so possibly a knee jerk reaction but I needed a bike desperately.
Got there & the pics didn't do it justice, it was obviously taken care of, not a tarted up the night before job. He's 72 & still a dedicated biker 8) .Started well, drove well, though I definitely will be getting the shock linkage off & bearings replaced just to be on the safe side (after the last time). Engine feels smooth. Pulls strongly, though it's no Firestorm. The chap had replaced this VFR with an 800 V-tec, so he obviously loves the bikes, got all the service history, receipts for parts bought, a huge folders worth, he obviously took care of it.
I'm going to get my local mechanic to give it a look over, just to make sure there are no nasty surprises waiting for me at 4 in the morning on a country road on the way home... 8O
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Sounds like a great purchase. I'm very partial to a bit of V4 action myself.

AFAIK the 95 is a very solidly built bike with no real issues. Like all Hondas you should keep an eye on the RR and also the stator/RR connector, but that is no worse than on the VTR, and you have no camchain tensioners to worry about.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150