Oil leak from speedo sensor

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Oil leak from speedo sensor

Post by jchesshyre »

I changed my speedo sensor back in December, and used a new o-ring.

However, I've developed an oil leak from the sensor in the last few weeks and it appears to be coming from the middle of the sensor where the wires emerge! WTF?
VTR Phoenix

Re: Oil leak from speedo sensor

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Replace sensor, happens with cps on cars. Was it a new or used sensor? If new then replace under warranty

Has the wire got caught on anything and pulled?
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Was a new sensor from partzilla.com.

No, the wires haven't got pulled.

I'll double check that the oil isn't emerging from the edge and migrating up to the middle (obviously it's a bit hard to tell) but if not then it'll have to be a warranty claim.

Would be interesting if anyone's experienced a similar issue. It's causing my oil level to fall a bit quicker than usual!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Check it's not dripping down from the cam cover seal first.

If not:
Just undo, wipe a bit of silicon sealant round it, stick back in.
Ten minutes.

A warranty claim?
They'll just laugh at you and say you fitted it wrong.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Haha, I know, and also they'd probably say I had to send it back (to America) before they sent a replacement, if they did send a replacement, which I couldn't do as I need my bike to get to work.

I took it out last night and there was some crud around where the o-ring seats - obviously I was in too much of a rush when I changed it before - so hopefully this will have sorted it.

Oh and it's definitely not coming from the cam cover.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Wow. I'm well impressed with Partzilla's customer service.

I emailed them at 2:20pm today with a photo of the leaking sensor and explaining the problem, saying that I'd be happy to send the sensor back if they paid postage but wouldn't be able to do so before they'd sent a replacement as the bike is not rideable without the sensor in place. Expecting a slightly difficult response...but an hour and twenty minutes later I get this:

Dear Joseph,

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with you part, and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. A replacement order will be created for another sensor. Once the replacement order has shipped from our facility you will receive an email confirmation with tracking number.

Regards,

Chris Powell | Call Center Manager
Outdoor Network Distribution

Here's the photo I sent them showing the leaking oil:

VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Always worth getting in touch, you still have consumer rights as well as a 12 month warranty. There are cases where even after 12 months you can get a free replacement if it's felt that the item is below what is expected of it (unfit for purpose) Got I stance if an old part lasted 10 years and a new part has only lasted two years then I would look at a free replacement but you would need to provide proof that the item hasn't been tampered with and that it has been used and maintained as expected.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!