15w fork oil

Moderator: VTRDark

bigr250

15w fork oil

Post by bigr250 »

I've got quite a large stock of Shell 15w fork oil and I've been selling it on eBay for a couple of weeks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112364977789? ... 1555.l2649

If any forum members want any you can message me on here and I'll sell it to you direct for £6.00 per bottle incl' post.
Rappelez tout mais ne pardonner rien!!
tony.mon

Re: 15w fork oil

Post by tony.mon »

That's a bit thick for a Storm but might be in spec for a blade front end.
Good price!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigr250

Post by bigr250 »

tony.mon wrote:That's a bit thick for a Storm but might be in spec for a blade front end.
Good price!
What weight oil are you running in yours?
Rappelez tout mais ne pardonner rien!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bigr250 wrote:
tony.mon wrote:That's a bit thick for a Storm but might be in spec for a blade front end.
Good price!
What weight oil are you running in yours?
I experimented with a number of different weights and air gaps, and found that for my 90kg and riding style 7.5 weight and 140 to 145 air gap worked best.
That was with updated springs but no damping changes apart from slight reproducing of the tapered tip to remove the step.

It fixed the bottoming out on hard braking problem but gave a good range of responsiveness to adjustments.

But the after a few years I went for a usd blade front end....it was good, a little shorter so made it quite front endy (But I like that) and had separated compression and rebound damping.

After lots of playing I got it how I liked it but tbh I was just as happy with the std front end set up as per above settings.

I tried thicker oil but it didn't work well.
I found that the damping was too hard and it would have needed a cartridge or shim or oil way changes.
But for track anything more that ten weight might be ok, but I doubt it would be much fun on the road without other changes.

By the way, I lightened the bike a fair bit, and didn't run higher bars or adjust cog much. And tuned the engine a fair bit too....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.