what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
redpig

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by redpig »

[quote="agentpineapple"]had a lovely ride today. started at 8am, it was still a tad chilly, but sod it, I set off for the coast. once there I chilled out and took a few pics.
then I headed back through the mountains to Gandesa. a quick splash n dash at the petrol stn and it was off to Mequinenza via Caspe. once there I stopped for a coffee overlooking the river.
then a spirited ride home. although I did stop at my local petrol stn to wash the bike and have another coffee with a birthday custard filled donut... :thumbup:

The beach is a bit empty, I'd have been in havin a paddle with me trousers rolled up a hankey on me head and ice cream stains down me vest.
ook
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

sold the Old CBF Gel Seats for £180 and the single seat cowl for £25.

I have just to sell some leathers and i am done.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
OtterSmacker

Post by OtterSmacker »

Checked and added air to the tyres. Removed my rear hugger as I've noticed it's broken :thumbdown:
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

New pads and bled the brakes lots of air in system and the fluid was black no wonder my brakes boiled on track. Respray and forks painted is next job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

new rear wheel bearing fitted after a close call :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
podman

Re: what have you done to your

Post by podman »

uk13iker wrote:Image
New pads and bled the brakes lots of air in system and the fluid was black no wonder my brakes boiled on track. Respray and forks painted is next job.

Mine isnt far off that, im guessing its never been changed, on the cards for changing as soon as I can..

Changed Mrs P's chunky aftermarket grips and bling bar ends for OE grips and bar ends, the aftermarket grips and ends where catching and causing the throttle to stick, it was like having cruise control..only a little thing but makes a huge difference, especially for a new rider like Mrs P

[url]Image

[url]Image
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

taxed and insured it. 1 day to go.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

removed this from the rear wheel :eek2 :eek2 was clean shitting myself incase i damaged the rear dymag :wtf: sods law the only bearing or seal on the whole bike i didnt replace let go..again every days a school day.

the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
podman

Post by podman »

fabiostar wrote:removed this from the rear wheel :eek2 :eek2 was clean shitting myself incase i damaged the rear dymag :wtf: sods law the only bearing or seal on the whole bike i didnt replace let go..again every days a school day.

V lucky indeed, as you say, the thing you overlook or make an assumption on will come back and haunt you later..
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Cleaned the MT and polished headers one side of headers on vtr will post some pics of the polished side and side I haven't done when I get home from work in the morning. If anyone's are brown stained or rusted search harpic on down pipes on YouTube and look how good it is. It's the harpic plus 10 or X 10 toilet cleaner does a great job and then polish makes it so easy.

mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Finished getting my bike ready for the riding season today.

Mods/updates for 2017:
- replaced screws holding carb butterflies in place with lower profile units (which were ground down as much as possible); improve airflow
- built a new airbox lid (ie. "Filter-in-lid design) with a larger filter element (area is up 40% over previous version); also improved volume and clearance over funnels slightly, as well as raising the tank a bit to improve airflow into filter/airbox/engine
- matched carb throats/intake collars/intake ports; did some minor dremmeling to latter two to provide a smooth and uniform channel for the air, again to improve airflow
- put thermal barrier on underside of airbox and carburetors (cooler airbox and carbs mean cooler air, better air density for improved power); minor, I know, but it was cheap...
- To improve response, I drilled a small additional lift hole in each slide (was running single hole before, just added 15% more area)
- cleaned front caliper pistons
- tightened steering bearings and replaced handlebars (with black version of same) and stem nut (blue Ti); red was just "too much" (has a stealthier look now)

I am not expecting anything close to major gains from the intake side changes, but they should improve response (which was already great) slightly if nothing else.

Will empty out the old gas, pour in some fresh stuff, re-install battery and I should be good to go.

To come shortly (get dealer to do it):
- new tires
- new chain and sprockets (gonna try 15/40 gearing)
- change fork oil
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It's the fine tuning that counts Micky, as you've proved before :thumbup:

I'm being lazy I know (but my excuse is I really should be up in my workshop and not on here :wink: ) but what does 15/40 gearing relate too, would it be lowering the gearing by something like half a tooth less on the rear sprocket if there were such a thing :?:

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

sirch345 wrote:It's the fine tuning that counts Micky, as you've proved before :thumbup:

I'm being lazy I know (but my excuse is I really should be up in my workshop and not on here :wink: ) but what does 15/40 gearing relate too, would it be lowering the gearing by something like half a tooth less on the rear sprocket if there were such a thing :?:

Chris.
Yes, trying to optimize everything and leave nothing on the table; more power and better running through optimisation. All the big pieces are in place, the game now is to get the most out of all of them.

to answer your gearing question, 15/40 is almost the same as 16/43, just a slight bit taller (16/43 yields 27.3 km/h per 1000 rpm in 6th while 15/40 gets you 27.5). Am running 16/42 at the moment and wanted something just a bit lower....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

I'll put a more detailed post on later but today I had a f#@@ing nightmare getting to Grainstorm.

Had a lot of help from fellas on the way who held back with me and even went to get fuel and batteries! Long story.

Anyway at Grainstorm the running issue was solved. Bad spark plug. Was new but I think someone may have dropped it :roll:

Serious thanks to the lads for sorting that. Couldn't have sorted it that way without it.
She runs so bloody well. The reg rec was also shafted and that has now been sorted.

Unfortunately on the way I dropped the bike!!! Not too bad, some scuffs but very frustrating!
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
macdee

Post by macdee »

The stuff of nightmares
told you not to but oh no you knew better