Honda Cam Chain Tensioners - Life Expectancy From New

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Wicky

Re: Honda Cam Chain Tensioners - Life Expectancy From New

Post by Wicky »

A good thrashing, earplugs and a loud can solve a lot of problems :D
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fulviogsx wrote:Hi Chris,
Thanks for fast reply.in the next days i will try.in the meantime I changed the oil (5100 motul 15/50), and today I drove pretty hard it for 40 kilometres.results: the noise disappeared
Kill or cure eh :)

Glad it was okay :thumbup:

Chris.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

I agree with 8541Hawk,it makes a lot of sense that it's the heat from the engine that makes the tag on the spring break, warming your bike up before you ride it would seems a good idea, but have had a lot of owners contact me and it seems the auto can fail at anytime.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

MacV2 wrote:I always thought that due to the front CCT pointing up any oil in there seeps down, the hot cold cycles of the motor leads to a small amout of condensation which leads to rust on the spring...Could of got that compleatly wrong but I'm sure I seen pics of broken springs with corrosion on them...
Your correct mac, also I have found when taking them apart is extreme heat cycling causes the spring to snap. I have also noticed that the heating process Honda use on the spring is poor, maybe to save moment cause the spring to shear.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

The spring I have seen have been brittle,the material changes with the heat.Was the spring every made to see this sort of heat ? There not very strong at the best of times.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

adewhitmarsh wrote:The spring I have seen have been brittle,the material changes with the heat.Was the spring every made to see this sort of heat ? There not very strong at the best of times.

I would say that it was a standard CCT they had, applying it to a bike that that has problems when failing. All others models that have this CCT have failures but not to the extent of what happens to the storm, and the frequency.

If failure just caused annoying rattles, and then the need to buy a replacement you wouldn't put posts up moaning about it, same as there are not hundreds of post moaning about fork seals going, it would just become a standard part of maintenance.

My 2008 CBF1000 still has a similar design to the ones in the storm, but have a shorter body.

We are primarily a Honda forum, but I was looking at the early Suzuki ratchet CCT's as an alternative to the spring, but they also have a high rate of failure too, we are just not aware or it. That's why on the later Suzuki's(SV) they started feeding oil into them making a simple hydraulic CCT.
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

The problem of these cct(storm & srad) is the project. It shouldn t be allowed come back.like in the
old suzuki cct (late 80).like the stopper mode
davebonline

Re: RE: Re: Honda Cam Chain Tensioners - Life Expectancy From New

Post by davebonline »

bazza696 wrote:
adewhitmarsh wrote:The spring I have seen have been brittle,the material changes with the heat.Was the spring every made to see this sort of heat ? There not very strong at the best of times.

I would say that it was a standard CCT they had, applying it to a bike that that has problems when failing. All others models that have this CCT have failures but not to the extent of what happens to the storm, and the frequency.

If failure just caused annoying rattles, and then the need to buy a replacement you wouldn't put posts up moaning about it, same as there are not hundreds of post moaning about fork seals going, it would just become a standard part of maintenance.

My 2008 CBF1000 still has a similar design to the ones in the storm, but have a shorter body.

We are primarily a Honda forum, but I was looking at the early Suzuki ratchet CCT's as an alternative to the spring, but they also have a high rate of failure too, we are just not aware or it. That's why on the later Suzuki's(SV) they started feeding oil into them making a simple hydraulic CCT.
Sent you an email Barry..
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

back at ya
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fulviogsx wrote:The problem of these cct(storm & srad) is the project. It shouldn t be allowed come back.like in the
old suzuki cct (late 80).like the stopper mode
I can understand your way of thinking there, however as the standard Firestorm CCT self adjusts (in both directions, slacken off and tighten up) if it had a ratchet system applied to it, it could no longer do that.
The Stopper Mod though allows the original CCT to operate as it was intended to do by Mr Honda, but stops the CCT plunger from retracting far enough to cause any engine damage if fitted correctly in the event of a CCT spring failure,

Chris.
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

Hi Guys,
Today during a ride my 9000 k vtr made a bad noise.i immediately switched it off.but i don t know yet what exactely happened.in other word i don t know yet if i have bent the valves or if the noise wad only chain noise because the failure of the cct.in the next hours i will share with you the bitter (or i hope sweet) truth.
However, according with your experiences, what is the best european place to buy a couple of APE tensioner?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Ouch! Hopefully no serious damage but usually valves meet piston in auto CCT failure :-(

Contact Rob de Hoo for manual CCTs http://exhausist.com/cct-prices-shipping
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

:sad2 Thanks for the link. i still have some little hope because the bad noise wasn t so esagerate...
Tomorrow i will check the timing...
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

Hello to everybody
Results:
Cct:broken spring (no rust but brown color)
Chain:the FI rocket was 3 teeth backwards
I didn t take off the head because i made some empirical try:
1)turning both the cylinder(one per time with relates spark pkug installed) with spanner they have the same compression.
2) the valve slack is ok(in case of bent valves this shouldn t be)
3)turning fast (by hands and spanner) the crankshaft i can hear the "bang" from the exhaust
So i m quite sure that nothing worse has happened
So it s time for me to buy a couple of mcct in order to switch it on and leave any doubt
Of course this was my first Honda of my life (as courtesy bike of my lovely gsxr),and I m sure it will be the last one
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

Broken spring 9k
Broken spring 9k
WP_20170401_20_58_42_Pro.jpg (3.83 MiB) Viewed 1936 times