CBR1000 Firestorm

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
moto1818

Re: CBR1000 Firestorm

Post by moto1818 »

StormyRob wrote:Seeing that engine looking absolutely beautiful is just pushing me more and more towards dropping mine out!

Need to resist that
Weather is shite, get your spanners on it!
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

AMCQ46 wrote:watch out not to scratch your nice and shiny rear cam cover when you lower the frame over it.... there is feck all clearance and you need to wiggle it a bit to fit over.

either fit an old cover that is scratched anyway, or cover the new cover in tape to protect it
Cheers, I will tape as suggested :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Moto,
Many thanks for taking the time to post up an in-depth "How To" on electro plating 8)
You must be very pleased with the results :thumbup:

Nice work with the engine and carbs, they look amazing :D

Chris.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

sirch345 wrote:Moto,
Many thanks for taking the time to post up an in-depth "How To" on electro plating 8)

Chris.
No problem :thumbup: I would have given details of chemicals/volumes etc but wasn't sure if it was relevant? I love plating, time consuming but a real buzz to make a duff bolt new again! Cheers for the comment on the carbs I would say it probably 10 hours work in total just for them, time well spent to me. I will be rebuilding the forks tomorrow so will give a write up about that.

I don't know if anyone has a quality shock for sale? If so I'm interested, cheers!
bertye

Post by bertye »

Lovely job. Check this link about the carb's wile you have it apart, as to the overflow pipes to prevent it running on one cylinder after heavy braking.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40552
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

moto1818 wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Moto,

Chris.
No problem :thumbup: I would have given details of chemicals/volumes etc but wasn't sure if it was relevant? I love plating, time consuming but a real buzz to make a duff bolt new again! Cheers for the comment on the carbs I would say it probably 10 hours work in total just for them, time well spent to me. I will be rebuilding the forks tomorrow so will give a write up about that.

I don't know if anyone has a quality shock for sale? If so I'm interested, cheers!
No I don't think there was any need to add details of chemical volumes etc. I'm sure if any of us decide to have a go at Electro Plating we can contact you for the volumes of chemicals needed, seeing you offered :wink: :thumbup:
Yes definitely 10hrs well spent IMHO :D
bertye wrote:Lovely job. Check this link about the carb's wile you have it apart, as to the overflow pipes to prevent it running on one cylinder after heavy braking.

Good shout Bertye :thumbup:

Chris.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

bertye wrote:Lovely job. Check this link about the carb's wile you have it apart, as to the overflow pipes to prevent it running on one cylinder after heavy braking.

Cheers for that. Not something I've hard or heard of so thanks :D
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

Hi all interested watchers!!

Been called to work for a month so the project has stopped till I get back. I will finish the thing shortly afterwards..............definitely!
Pla3108

Post by Pla3108 »

Beautiful looking fairing
Maybe the exhausts want a link pipe tgat raises them up now though :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

moto1818 wrote:Hi all interested watchers!!

Been called to work for a month so the project has stopped till I get back. I will finish the thing shortly afterwards..............definitely!
You'll be back on it soon I'm sure :thumbup:

Good of you to lets us know about your work commitment,

Chris.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

Hi all, back from work commitments and ready to box my bike up.

First I rebuilt my blade forks, all new bushes, seals and oil.

Fitted all new bearings and seals in the swingarm and all new bearings in the linkages.

New wheel bearings and seals.

New head bearings and seals.

I have bought some nice race cooling water hoses in black, I have started to fit them with full stainless jubilee clips.

Random piccy of my old Mito 350, my mate has just bought another one, I might have to build another one because I'm jealous!

I will load lots more pictures tomorrow.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

I'm looking for a race shock or something interesting if anyone has or knows of one available ??

Cheers :D
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

Bit of an update. Not far off now. I expect to complete this week! Awaiting last bits. I have decided on a KOSO dash not original but easier than grafting a newer blade unit on.

Some piccys.

Oil cooler needs some work to get it tidy

Last edited by moto1818 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

A few more pictures. I am fitting all new discs and pads because it turned out the front discs where warped so I went full hog on the braking side of things.
I still await my race brake fluid to bleed all hydraulics.
New chain and sprockets to be fitted once they arrive.
My downpipes are the last big expense so I want them right, I will prove my current set up before I get some professional to make me some!
All the wiring is sorted and battery stuff squared away, I have to make a proper heat sink for the rectifier as not happy with it as it is.
I sighted the rear cylinder coil on the top shock mount, it makes a lot more sense there than standard to me!

A list is always good!

moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

The radiators are not mounted correctly here as they are awaiting painted brackets that move them slightly back.

AS3 hoses with full stainless clips.