Drive chain slider

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jchesshyre

Drive chain slider

Post by jchesshyre »

Just to check something...is the chain supposed to drag along the top of the slider on the swingarm?
simo

Re: Drive chain slider

Post by simo »

To a certain extent but once you sit on should clear. It will be closer the more the front sprocket wears.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Ah of course... Was forgetting about the tensioning when you sit on the bike! :shifty:

My mind's at rest then although I might check mine does clear it when I sit on the bike. Just vaguely trying to ascertain why my last chain got tight links sooner than I'd have liked and checking all possibilities.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Just my opinion, but I think tight links are a result of insufficient slack in the chain. As the suspension compresses the chain run gets longer and the chain tightens. What looks like an OK amount of slack unladen can disappear when you ride over bumps, and my thought is that the shock load causes the chain pins to bend slightly causing a tight link. My preference is to run the chain at the looser end of the adjustment range.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I always run my chain at the loose end of the adjustment range as well, so I'm not sure why that chain got binding links. Alignment is fine as far as I can tell with a laser alignment thingy.

Incidentally, the slider looks like it'll soon need replacing. Am I right in thinking you can do this without taking the swingarm off?