what bike did you have and let go but would like back

General Bike chat
RedStormJ

Re: what bike did you have and let go but would like back

Post by RedStormJ »

my yamaha km100.
Mini street bike.
It was my dads he sold it to some kid who blew the engine.
Found it in a junkyard and had it at a.... buddys.
Went into the army he was "Keeping it safe"
I never saw my jaguar, bike or triumph tr7 again....
By the time I got back he legally owned em.
Some buddy eh......
I now just pay for storage.
My plans included a 303 rotary I had put harley springs knocked the kudge off made a new seat and resprayed the tank. I was just looking for an old harley tranny to make it all fit.
davebonline

Post by davebonline »

My '97 RGV 250. It was mint and original and I sold it for around £1700 at the time (2007). Would be worth close to £5000 now :(

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

My fzr400 put more miles on that in the 4 months before the engine blew up than I have in 3 years of owning the vtr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bertye

Post by bertye »

In my time, I have had dozens of bikes, but 2 I wish I still had. The 1st one was a Honda CB500 4. It was a dream, and when I sold it, it was a minter. The 2nd was a VF750. I know, it had big engine problems. I sorted out the heads after the Honda update were fitted and only lasted about 3,000 miles. I fitted TSS road and track cams and machine the cam caps and head so there was no movement in the cam any more. Made a 4 -2 1 exhaust. sounded sweet and still pulled hard at 140MPH (the bike mag test was 127). it would pull heard through the red (red line was 9 but pulled past 10,000 without tailing of), so had no idea how fast it could of gone. It pulled from tick over like a tractor. It was a heavy beast standard, but managed to shed quit a bit of weight of of it, so handled quit good. Had it 9 years and was immaculate. I only sold it because I was building an extension on the house. Now the one I would not get rid of is the CBR750 Hurricane the I have had since 2001, and as they don't fetch much money, would be pointless selling it.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

A few bikes come to mind, some not because I felt they were the best thing I had owned but because I had done stupid swaps.

BMW R1100S, I had spent a lot of time working on this bike and got it near spot on but had an itch for a pocket rocket, the guy swapped a clean looking ZX6R that seemed okay at the time, and promised me it was HPI clear, I found out afterwards that it wasn't and the bike really was a piece of crap, I asked for the BMW back or compensation, the guy gave me compensation in the end, the ZX6R I just wrote off my loss and gave it to my friend who fixed it.

I couldn't of HPI'ed the bike because I had recently renewed my bank card AND credit card because one had run out and I had a guy looking over my shoulder when I put the pin in, so got the jitters.

If it had come back with CAT C on it, he would have been riding back the ZX6R.

First Honda X11 I owned, loved the bike, clean as anything run like a dream, but I had to get another Harley so done a sell/swap deal on it, tried to buy the X back later but didnt have the funds, bought another one later ( still own it ).

To be honest a lot of bikes I had wish I hadn't parted with were swap deals, hence I will never do a swap on sites like SwapZ, to many dodgy people ready to try and rip you off, had better luck on EBay but still come off worse in some instances.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

uk13iker wrote:Image

My fzr400 put more miles on that in the 4 months before the engine blew up than I have in 3 years of owning the vtr

Before I got my 'storm I was thinking found FZR400. You should have kept it and shoved an FZR600 motor in. Popular upgrade and a straight fit apparently.
podman

Post by podman »

freeridenick wrote:
uk13iker wrote:Image

Before I got my 'storm I was thinking found FZR400. You should have kept it and shoved an FZR600 motor in. Popular upgrade and a straight fit apparently.
IIRC , a few people have slotted a carb'd Fireblade motor into FZR400/600s...imagine what a sleeper that would be..
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

I wish I would of my mate said to do the 600 swap but the bike was in my uncles garage and he started moaning about it being in the way so I ended up selling it.

maniaka

Post by maniaka »

I miss my beloved Puch Maxi ... what a machine !

It's better in the wind: DFFD
Honda VTR 1000
bertye

Post by bertye »

I had one of the 43 years ago, and mine was the hard tail and red. I was envious of a friend, as he had the rear shock modal :Ball Kick: . We all had to start somewhere :lol: .
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

I had an identical one to that photo, I could wheelie it for miles

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
popkat

Post by popkat »

My Yamaha FZ1s Fazer, owned it new and regretted selling it but it had to go.

But now I'm buying it back again :D
Lots more miles but still looks great and goes very well.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
oldburnthippy

Post by oldburnthippy »

Original Duke Monster, the M900. Wondered why it had flat bars til I turned the loud knob :D
My darling wife has many faults
But I have only two
Every bloody thing I say
And everything I do
and7rp2

Post by and7rp2 »

I bought this new in July 1991, sold it to my mate one year later, he kept it for six years and did 6000 miles on her the last year he did 6 miles ! 3 to MOT station n 3 back home.
I wanted it back so told him it was silly him keeping it as he hadn't used it !!!
So 3 wives, 9 houses I've still got her, she's got 24k miles and is mint, I fitted the micron full system & dyno jets in 91 and still have the original exhaust.
Grey haired riders don't get that way by luck !!
podman

Post by podman »

and7rp2 wrote:Image

I bought this new in July 1991, sold it to my mate one year later, he kept it for six years and did 6000 miles on her the last year he did 6 miles ! 3 to MOT station n 3 back home.
I wanted it back so told him it was silly him keeping it as he hadn't used it !!!
So 3 wives, 9 houses I've still got her, she's got 24k miles and is mint, I fitted the micron full system & dyno jets in 91 and still have the original exhaust.
Thats a great story mate, fair play to you for making sure you kept hold of it.

I also bought a brand new 750M in 1991 , heres me on it at the BMF rally that year.

[url]Image

I also sold it after a year when Norwich Union pulled out of the big bike market and their rider policy, I think my insurance went from £350 to over £1200 but we was all in our early twenties and riding around on each others GSXRs and EXUPs for not a lot of moeny so its no surprise really.

I would certainly love to own that again, was the first brand new bike id ever bought