Which bike to buy?

General Bike chat
Flatline

Which bike to buy?

Post by Flatline »

Looking to get a bike for longer journeys as the wife is coming on the back after an 18year break

Looking for something with a bit of character

Thinking of a Triumph Sprint St, Aprilia Caponord, Vfr, T tiger

Some bargains to be had at 2.5k

Anyone had one of these?
lloydie

Re: Which bike to buy?

Post by lloydie »

Gold wing
podman

Post by podman »

For 2.5k , I would buy on condition first and then narrow it down, I was put off the early Triumphs(ST, Sprint RS and Speed triples) because of quite widespread issues with the gearbox and other reliability niggles.

Same goes for the Tiger I guess? Bloody ugly things too..

Parts even for newer Aprilias are sometimes not so easy to obtain, if it was for a plaything bike, maybe it wouldnt matter but a longer distance bike it would be worth considering that.

Id say the VFR was in front of that group.
eamonn

Post by eamonn »

Aprilia Futura , Best two up bike out there for that money. Like a Firestorm but faster and handles better even two up . Yes I've got both and it's true. Fuel injection, usd forks, Brembo brakes , dedicated luggage.
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

lloydie wrote:Gold wing
+1 from me.

Women like the sports pillion on sunny days only. Blasting round the back roads with a lass hanging on for grimm death is fine for 30 odd miles at a time. Then, the bang on the shoulder signalling leg cramps, cold knees, sore shoulders from the constant leaning, and just generally hacked off and needing a pee...

Long hauls on them are no good (imagine taking yer wife pillion on a sports bike for a 300 mile motorway run, and how she'd feel at the end of it. I bet sore and cheesed off, perched on a toast sized seat with her head 6 inches above yours, getting battered by the wind). 30 miles on the back of a sports bike seat can seem like 100 miles.

The VFR is probably the best choice in your list, as it looks good with panniers and a top box if you'd be into fitting them. And, if wanting a blast on the VFR, it's easy to one-click the boxes off, and you still have a decent looking bike. She would also sit almost level in the seat with you. The Trumpet Tiger is too high in the saddle for a 2 up bike (to me, it's a 1 rider bike, with panniers and tour kit)

But, for females, a nice comfy seat is a must, which could lead you down the factory custom side of things (no, NOT a harley!)

Goldwings get my vote for comfiness, carrying capacity, fuel economy, quietness and reliability. Ok, it's like a car, but yer still riding a bike - albeit a bloody big one.

(And it's not compulsory that you dress in pristine leathers and matching helmets either. The proper old fart fanatics can be left to do that.)

Looking at your budget, you could also consider a Pan European (Honda ST1100), a Honda NT700V, a Triumph Trophy 900, a BMW R1100RT, or BMW K1100LT.

For the Sports touring side, you could consider the Honda Blackbird, or an older bike: the Yamaha FJ1200.

At the end of the day, it's not what just catches your eye and looks good. Nor is it ''this will kill my street cred if seen on one''. It's a joint desicion, as you need to have a happy passenger at the end of the run!

If I get another bike, it'll be a choice of 2. An ex police BMW R1100RT (better electrics and upgraded alternator etc to handle lights n stuff. Or, a 1200 Aspencade Goldwing. Not too dressy, a few side lights....must be in deep wine/burgandy or the gold/beige colour (or black...nom, nom, nom). The GL1500 is WAY too big bodywork wise, and doesn't really do it for me looks wise. The 1200 is just about right for a proper touring bike - and it can handle well throwing it around too! Yes...you CAN scratch on a wing!
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
Paultandy

Post by Paultandy »

Fazer 1000 got lots of go go and a all round good bike wish I still had my fazer :roll: but the first time i herd a vtr i just ad to have 1 :lol: 8)
:beer: I drink beer like my bike drinks petrol :beer:
tastethefloor

Post by tastethefloor »

YAMAHA FJR 1300

first generation 2001-2006 like mine, easy to find for 2500 pound

Image[/URL]
Last edited by tastethefloor on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

My other bikes are a 1999 VFR800Fi (last of the gear driven cams, first of the FI) and an 1990 ST1100.

Two up the ST wins hands down; a big comfy seat, plenty of leg room, and a relaxing and lazy power plant. I've got a replacement shock and revalved the forks, and as long as you respect a slower rate of turn and less ground clearance, it can be hustled along at a fair old clip with terrific stability.

The VFR does have a much better pillion seat than the VTR and a lot more leg room, but it is still a fairly sporty ride position.

I have a mate with a Futura, he finds the back end much too soft for two-up (although they're a bigger couple) and bottoms out a lot.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
popkat

Post by popkat »

Sprint ST for that money will be a 955, all the plastic tanks are swelling due to ethanol in the fuel, best leave that model..

I'd go for a 2000-2001 VFR800 pre v tec, for your budget you'll get a nice one and they go on forever.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

I'll sell you a Bandit 120o, S model with the fairing. well within your budget at £1850 with only 15k miles on it.. Good two up bike, easy to tour on too..

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

popkat wrote:I'll sell you a Bandit 120o, S model with the fairing. well within your budget at £1850 with only 15k miles on it.. Good two up bike, easy to tour on too..

the only think that distracted me from buying one of these was the 5 speed box and the panniers look bloody ugly.

You could find yourself a CBF1000 for that money, the only problem would be having to pay to upgrade the rear shock and seat, unless you're luckly enough to find one with all the work already done by the previous owner.
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Flatline wrote:Looking to get a bike for longer journeys, as the wife is coming on the back after an 18 year break
Fair enough.....and then....
bazza696 wrote:You could find yourself a CBF1000 for that money, the only problem would be having to pay to upgrade the rear shock and seat...
:eek2 Erm...I'm sure Mrs Flatlines elbow is not THAT big? The bike should handle her ok! :lol: :lol:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

CBF with an decent shock are hard to beat for a comfy 2 up bike. there plenty fast enough 2 up. My wife says its better than the Fazer 1000 and my Sprint.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Aprilia 125 two-stroke.

You don't REALLY want her to keep insisting on climbing on the back, do you?
:twisted:

But don't forget the 750/800 superscoots, they'er easy to ride long miles on and smooth for pillions, especially if you get one with bigger wheels.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

First off you need to consider weight and height of pillion. The BMW k1200/1300 are good bikes but any pillion over 5'8" might find it a bit cramped.

Decide on twin, 3 or i4 engine.

Then try for fitment and comfort before you buy.

Blackbird, zzr1100, thunderace, tl1000r all big comfortable bikes for 2 and just eat up the miles. TL is a thirsty bike though expect around same mileage as a storm from a tank. expect change from £2500 for any of the above bikes.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!