Sprocket Cover - Gasket & Rubber Plate Question...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
TheGingerBeardMan

Sprocket Cover - Gasket & Rubber Plate Question...

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

How do.

Was down on me knees again, still on Operation: Scrape the feching salt off me bike''.

Now: I've previously removed me sprocket cover Christ knows how many times for the regular degrease of chain lube and road grit...clean inside clutch slave, coppa slip everything and put it all back nice n' clean ready for the next time. Today was no different.

But...(and I have NEVER paid any attention to them before)...I looked at the 2 threaded bits inside the cover and wondered what the hell they were for? Was it an extension for another model of bike? I dunno....

So, back home, fired up t'internet and Mr Hondas Microfiche, and can now see what the threads are for.

It appears there is no rubber cover (No.2) p/no. 11342-MBB-300

The washers on the fiche (No.14) describes them as ''Washer Tank Cushion'' p/no. 90503-898-000

Are they ''special'' washers then?? Sounds daft I know! :think: I know the bolts are 6mm thread with 10mm head.

I also just have the chain guide metal plate....but NOT the gasket that sits between the plate and the sprocket cover. (No.3) p/no. 11343-MW4-000

The bike rides fine, and has covered many thousands of miles without these parts. No rattling of chain, no sh1t n' crud to get jammed in between rubber and guard.

My questions are:

A) What purpose does the rubber cover serve, and do I really need it? (No.2)
B) Do I really need the gasket? (No.3)
C) Is it rubber or cork, as it looks thick on the fiche (about the same thickness as the metal chain plate)?

If the answer is yes, and I DO need the them both, then...

D) Does anyone have the rubber thing and/or the plate gasket? (no silly prices please)

Moochos Grassy Ass. :thumbup:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
lloydie

Re: Sprocket Cover - Gasket & Rubber Plate Question...

Post by lloydie »

You don't need either .
The rubber just dampens the chain sound and the gaskit is pointless
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I think Franks got one...Sprocket cover that is...

If you feel you really want one I'll go & check to make sure the lying arachnid bastid isn't making it up...

The recent award has gone to his head, just wants to sit around with his feets up doing fek all of late...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
TheGingerBeardMan

lloydie wrote:You don't need either. The rubber just dampens the chain sound, and the gaskit is pointless
Ahh - Ok then. Many thanks for that Meester Lloydie. The cans are loud enough to hide any sound from the rear sprocket, and the engine rattles/clunkjs/whirrs and other weird noises hides any noise from the front sprocket. I assume the gasket is not for opil leaks, but rather for compression to save overtightening the cover and cracking the magnesium.
MacV2 wrote:I think Franks got one...Sprocket cover that is...If you feel you really want one I'll go & check to make sure the lying arachnid bastid isn't making it up...
Ahh - now - I have a sprocket cover. (y'know, that big black thing wot hides the front chain toothy thing?). It's when you say ''If I feel I really want one''. Hmmm. Lloydie reckons I don't need the rubber suppressor or the gasket, so it wasn't do I want one....it was more do I need one. Y'see what I'm meaning? I hope so, 'cos I don't anymore and am now confusing myself. Need, want, require?

If I need it, then I want one. If I require one, then I need one. If I want one, but don't need one, then I'm more confused than an Irishman being offered 3 shovels, and then asking him to take his pick.

My usual policy for the bike, is that if it was meant to be there, then it should be there. Ok, it's more parts to clean crud out of. But then, I'd be paranoid about the retaining bolts coming undone, and then they get snagged in the chain, and then I'd do a Custard Crumble, but mine will be worth sod all if I throw it down the road at 140mph.

Hmmm. Dilemma. No, NOT dial Emma. Leave her alone. She's MINE. I saw her first.

What to do...what to do. :think: :crazy:
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I guess the rubber on the sprocket cover acts as a sound dampener cutting a couple of decibels when on the move... in your wild open spaces I'd say not to worry if it's AWOL.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
TheGingerBeardMan

Wicky wrote:I guess the rubber on the sprocket cover acts as a sound dampener cutting a couple of decibels when on the move... in your wild open spaces I'd say not to worry if it's AWOL.
Thanks for another confirmation Wicky. At least it's not a mechanical necessity. There may be folk out there into saving weight (by fitting all this titanium stuff), and they may have junked the unnecessary rubber, 2 bolts and 2 washers...saving all of what? A couple of grams! LOL! :lol:

If it gives me 0.000035mph extra not having the bits fitted, then I shall leave 'em off! :lol:

cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:How do.

C) Is it rubber or cork, as it looks thick on the fiche (about the same thickness as the metal chain plate)?

Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

cheekykev wrote:
TheGingerBeardMan wrote:How do.

I'm a bit confused here, mine is as it should be, and the holes you refer to are for a metal plate which is attached to the back of the chain cover plate
I don't know what the face gasket is there for, but due to the fact the clutch slave fits piggy back onto the chain cover plate, then without it surely you'll be effecting the amount of movement of the clutch push rod, all be it only by a few thousand of an inch
In my opinion, for what's worth, if something has been put there, it has been put there for a reason.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
TheGingerBeardMan

cheekykev wrote:I'm a bit confused here...the holes you refer to are for a metal plate which is attached to the back of the chain cover plate. In my opinion, if something has been put there, it has been put there for a reason.
Afternoon Kev. Sorry I kinda confussed you. I DO have the metal chain plate (that sits over the metal dowels) on the actual sprocket cover. It's the behind the cover parts that are not there...

Top photo shows my sprocket cover with 2 threaded holes (11 o' clock and 4 o' clock)...and the bottom pic shows what should be there instead of empty space... :)

Yup - I hear what yer saying regaring the ''if it's meant to be there, it should be''. Thought about it last night, and yes, I'll start looking for the rubber sound dampener bit n' bolts.

There's supposed to be a green paper gasket that sits between the sprocket cover and the metal horse-shoe plate, but I'm not really arsed about that. (Not to be confused with the paper gasket for the clutch slave cylinder - I DO have a new one of them fitted!)

:thumbup: :beer:

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I'll check the hoard a bit later...I have an appointment this arvo so going out in a bit...check in later with you...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

PM'd.