Right then?

General Bike chat
eddvtr1000

Right then?

Post by eddvtr1000 »

ok peep's this has got to be the most daft question i have asked to date.
right i took the removeable baffle's out me exhuasts the other day.
a couple of lads at work then mentioned the bike sound's nice but "it might be and idea to put the baffles in coz you'll hole your piston's!"
are these guys haveing me on? has anyone had any probs with holed piston's coz they ran with no baffles?
i dunno?
4 cyl = 2ltr , 2 cyl = 1ltr it's all relative.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

never heard that one

and just from the point of reason, the amount of cans out there without baffles, you would think a lot of ppl are running that risk....???
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Right then?

Post by sirch345 »

eddvtr1000 wrote:ok peep's this has got to be the most daft question i have asked to date.
right i took the removeable baffles out me exhuasts the other day.
a couple of lads at work then mentioned the bike sound's nice but "it might be and idea to put the baffles in coz you'll hole your piston's!"
are these guys haveing me on? has anyone had any probs with holed piston's coz they ran with no baffles?
i dunno?
The only reason you would put a hole in the piston is, if by removing the baffles it made your bike run lean, as with fitting any after market cans I always keep an eye on the spark plugs to see if they are the right colour, which you can check after a couple hundred of miles.
I wouldn't have thought the Storm (on standard jetted carbs) would run lean by removing the baffles as in standard set up run on the rich side anyway :!:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Right then?

Post by Pete.L »

sirch345 wrote:
eddvtr1000 wrote:ok peep's this has got to be the most daft question i have asked to date.
right i took the removeable baffles out me exhuasts the other day.
i dunno?
The only reason you would put a hole in the piston is, if by removing the baffles it made your bike run lean, as with fitting any after market cans I always keep an eye on the spark plugs to see if they are the right colour, which you can check after a couple hundred of miles.
I wouldn't have thought the Storm (on standard jetted carbs) would run lean by removing the baffles as in standard set up run on the rich side anyway :!:

Chris.
So True.
Depending on how much back pressure the baffles make determines the air/fuel mixture. It is possible by removing the baffle you can make the engine burn too lean and eventually burn the valves out (lean mixture = hotter running engine) when the valve gets waek enough or if the engine is running super hot you can end up with a hole in a piston.
Your probably going to be alright but if your really worried pull your plugs out like Chris sugested and check what coulour they are. If they're white and burnt looking it's time to put the baffles back in or if you don't want to go back get it on a dyno and have the mixture adjusted to suit .

Pete.l

See... not a daft question after all :wink:
delta1

Post by delta1 »

could this also explain having bent exhaust valves on the rear cylinder as i took my bike into the local honda dealer to change my cct's (as there seemed to be a kind of intermittent slapping sound) and theyve just phoned me up saying theyre bent ( the valves that is lol). have got a pair of scorpion cans, could this be the cause :?:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

could this also explain having bent exhaust valves on the rear cylinder as i took my bike into the local honda dealer to change my cct's (as there seemed to be a kind of intermittent slapping sound) and theyve just phoned me up saying theyre bent ( the valves that is lol). have got a pair of scorpion cans, could this be the cause
No - its because the CCT has gone and the valve timing has gone out. Nothing to do with the exhausts at all
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

delta1 wrote:could this also explain having bent exhaust valves on the rear cylinder as i took my bike into the local honda dealer to change my cct's (as there seemed to be a kind of intermittent slapping sound) and theyve just phoned me up saying theyre bent ( the valves that is lol). have got a pair of scorpion cans, could this be the cause :?:
Stratman's reply is spot on I would say :!:

Also I run Scorpion cans (race cans no baffles) and have done for a long time, as I said before I have kept an eye on the colour of the spark plugs and without any adjusting of the standard carb set up with standard Honda air filter the colour of the plugs has been spot on :!:
markg

Post by markg »

I can back that up, just had the rear cct go, the plug was a perfect light brown colour, the valves loked lovely apart from the bend in them caused by the cct failing :(
I run on Venom end cans and after a dyno run last year I was told the bike ran perfect as VTR's tend to run rich anyway,mind you it ran slightly lean with a k&n air filter which I fitted later and had to re-jet.
eddvtr1000

Post by eddvtr1000 »

cheers peep's, as usual the poeple in the know come up with the good's.
ill just keep an eye on the pugs then, so simple really :oops:
4 cyl = 2ltr , 2 cyl = 1ltr it's all relative.
dookie

Post by dookie »

As long as a bikes air flow / petrol mixture is right you could run open short pipes if you want, like all the baddass harley riders :roll:
There was a time i used to care