I repaired something and I have an extra piece, lol.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Rad_Draven

I repaired something and I have an extra piece, lol.

Post by Rad_Draven »

The lights switch did not work (The square one for long and short lights) and I opened it and replaced the small spring inside. Now it works but I have an extra piece and I have no clue where should I install it.

Any idea?

Thanks!
Watty

Re: I repaired something and I have an extra piece, lol.

Post by Watty »

The bin!!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Rad_Draven

Post by Rad_Draven »

Watty wrote:The bin!!
Whathever it is, it does not seem to be very important, lol.
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Rad_Draven wrote:Now the lights switch works, I have an extra piece and I have no clue where should I install it.

Any idea?

Thanks!

That looks to me like a cable / wire holder for inside the switch?

As you took the switch apart, it would have ''split in half'' and you would have had to remove a wee crosshead screw from this thing, that ''clamped'' the internal wires to the rest of the switchgear: hence the wee hole in the bracket you have left over (that's where the screw goes into). You can also tell which side up the screw/clamp goes, as surrounding the hole are scrapes where the screwhead bit into the metal.

Also, to the front of the clamp (in your photo), you can see a sticky out tab that has a dent / V groove - again, for it to sit over the wiring.

If the lights and all switches are working, then I think this could be just a wire/cable clamp that fits inside the switch...
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
xeris

Post by xeris »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
Rad_Draven wrote:Now the lights switch works, I have an extra piece and I have no clue where should I install it.

Any idea?

Thanks!

That looks to me like a cable / wire holder for inside the switch?

As you took the switch apart, it would have ''split in half'' and you would have had to remove a wee crosshead screw from this thing, that ''clamped'' the internal wires to the rest of the switchgear: hence the wee hole in the bracket you have left over (that's where the screw goes into). You can also tell which side up the screw/clamp goes, as surrounding the hole are scrapes where the screwhead bit into the metal.

Also, to the front of the clamp (in your photo), you can see a sticky out tab that has a dent / V groove - again, for it to sit over the wiring.

If the lights and all switches are working, then I think this could be just a wire/cable clamp that fits inside the switch...
That's exactly what the part is. For my bike, I would want the strain relief that the part is designed for.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

your bike is now lighter so its also faster, no? :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

When I repaired the indicator selector part of that switch I remember that refitting that piece was a bit of a struggle.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Rad_Draven

Post by Rad_Draven »

fabiostar wrote:your bike is now lighter so its also faster, no? :clap:
Lol, yeah.
Stratman wrote:When I repaired the indicator selector part of that switch I remember that refitting that piece was a bit of a struggle.
Yep, it is a pain in the ass.

TheGingerBeardMan: After a closer inspection I think you are right and is just a wire holder... Everything seems to work fine right now so I think Im going to keep the piece out of the bike until I need it.

Anyway, thanks to all of you :)
Watty

Post by Watty »

Rad_Draven wrote:
fabiostar wrote:your bike is now lighter so its also faster, no? :clap:
Lol, yeah.
Stratman wrote:When I repaired the indicator selector part of that switch I remember that refitting that piece was a bit of a struggle.
Yep, it is a pain in the ass.

TheGingerBeardMan: After a closer inspection I think you are right and is just a wire holder... Everything seems to work fine right now so I think Im going to keep the piece out of the bike until I need it.

Anyway, thanks to all of you :)
What even my BIN statement :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Rad_Draven wrote:Everything seems to work fine right now, so I think Im going to keep the piece out of the bike until I need it.
No, no, no and erm, no! - I hereby recall some words of wisdom from a female partner of mine (which may be appropriate for the cable retainer as well):

''Don't give up....it will go in! You may have a bit of a struggle at first, but once everything is lined up, it WILL fit in there''. Just be gentle, and don't try to force it.

:think:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017