Beating the horse. Brake material discussion.

General Bike chat
RedStormJ

Beating the horse. Brake material discussion.

Post by RedStormJ »

We all know stainless is what we got and it isnt amazing.
We all know that carbon ceramic matrix is the best and lightest.
We all know true carbon dont warm up too good and is best left on the track.
Aluminum is made but can not be used.
Titanium isnt made and probably cant be used.

But has anyone considered IRON I was looking at material density and thought to my self hmmm. If a light weight design was employed into an iron rotor like a stainless one. would it fly apart? A wild idea is that clutches use replacable plates. couldn't an iron aluminum disc be made out of an aluminum disc and rings cut from an iron disc. Hmm yes iron... Expansion is close to aluminum it wears like iron and honestly its lighter than steel.
At least thats what Ive been reading. Correct me if Im drunk/tired or stupid. :D

I need to add. If anyone is close to anywhere that services high performance aircraft. Grab a heat stack. A genius made a rotor out of a good disc in a dead stack. I believe for a tlr a real sick custom one and he has been running it at least a year by his posts.
MacV2

Re: Beating the horse. Brake material discussion.

Post by MacV2 »

PFM cast Iron discs...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
ConTRo13R

Post by ConTRo13R »

podman

Post by podman »

Iron rusts like buggery I thought thou..Nowt that wrong with stainless discs on a road bike IMHO

Friend of mine ran a Superstock team and used the stock discs and OE pads with no problems on track, unless your at WSB/MotpGP level, I cant see anyone finding the shortcomings of a stock rotor.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

some people are a lot faster talking than they are riding. Normals good enough for most mere humans
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

I am running PFM cast discs on the GSXR750 (on the bike when I bought it)
Yes, they do form a thin film of surface rust if allowed to get wet and not used for a few days, but the first time you apply the brakes, the pads strip it straight off.
They do bite better than stainless discs when fitted with a decent set of pads, but herein lies the rub.
Materials and technology have moved on in leaps and bounds so a good set up of master cylinder/discs/pads will give results more than adequate compared to early braking systems.
That said, give a good set of cast iron discs a go and you will not be disappointed.
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Wow this post got more attention than I thought but its good. And ints not always about going faster.

God knows I cant push the bike to its limit. Not on these roads.

But as the above poster mentioned they are lighter and bite better. Ive for sure ran out of bite on a spirited drive. Im getting a quote on post from country mic for a wavy rear hes got but if not I may go with an aluminum iron rear.

The goal is to take out as much rotating mass as possible without loosing the wallet. God knows I would love an all carbonfiber set up. but lets total it.
1400 for a bst rear rim used. 300 for a disc. thats 1700 usd. I spent 300 on a cbr1000rr swingaer with everything. The lightest production rim made. And a if I spend another 100 on a disc im looking at 400 us for quite a few pounds saved.
To be honest what has me really hooked on weight is pushing and reversing. I live in a mountain. I have to pull in and back out a lot. There are other mods but I want a light bike. Fronts I may save and wait till next year if I dont get iron.

This is more for discussing iron. But I gotta ask CAST IRON!? I was talking about ductile iron.
Check out brake tech.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Get Zcoo brake pads for your stainless rotors and prepare to be amazed...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

beryllium brake discs... :wink:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts