Valve clearance

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
pete99

Valve clearance

Post by pete99 »

Hello!

I check my friend bike valve clearance, and want to ask is this needed adjustment or not? i read somewhere that the clearance is IN 0.16mm and EX 0.31mm But what tolerances there are?
Bike is honda VTR 1000F firestorm 2005

In my eyes this look good. What you think? I also call local honda import and they even know what are the tolerances, so im really confused now... :idea:

regards

pete
xeris

Re: Valve clearance

Post by xeris »

Both intake and exhaust are (+-).03mm. While your in there why not make the adjustment.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

They're in tolerance so leave it until another 10 K miles and check again.
Some will need doing next time.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

At what mileage are you checking the valve clearances :?: They should normally be checked at 16,000 mile intervals.
As Tony says they are in tolerance at the moment,

Chris.
pete99

Post by pete99 »

Ok. thanks for the answer :clap:

My friend buy this bike last spring, so we dont have nothing documents with come the bike. bike have now 62 000km on the clock.

i do maintanance service this bike now and change plugs, air-filter etc... so its ready to next season. 8) i was shocking i dont have 18mm spark plug socket :eh: :eek2 rare size :biggrin

is there something special things on the bike what should look? when i have now striped all away.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

pete99 wrote:Ok. thanks for the answer :clap:

My friend buy this bike last spring, so we dont have nothing documents with come the bike. bike have now 62 000km on the clock.

i do maintanance service this bike now and change plugs, air-filter etc... so its ready to next season. 8) i was shocking i dont have 18mm spark plug socket :eh: :eek2 rare size :biggrin

is there something special things on the bike what should look? when i have now striped all away.
So you are in between the recommended service intervals. According to my calculations the next service check should be at 77,000km (48,000 miles) for valve clearances.
You could do with a tool kit which has a spark plug spanner in it, that does the job okay.

The main thing that could fail you is the CCT's (cam Chain tensioners), also the rectifier if your bike has one fitted that doesn't have any cooling fins on it. The rectifier is located under the seat plastic's on the rear brake pedal side of the bike. You can see it or at least feel it if you remove the seat.
I've just noticed your bike is a 2005 model, that should mean your bike already has a rectifier with cooling fins :D

Another thing worth checking is the rear suspension linkage and swingarm bearings, have a read here:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=11809

Chris.