I've got a wobble on

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bigtwinthing

Re: I've got a wobble on

Post by bigtwinthing »

well done, speed nots important its getting the job done correctly that counts. :thumbup:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Happy days problem sorted then.. :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

job sorted. :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Now that is what I would call a result :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

result :thumbup:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well done, should be easier to filter as well.

Don't forget to re-check the bearing is properly seated after a hundred or so miles.
No matter how well t=you think you've seated the races they always bed in slightly over the first few bumps or poorly-landed wheelies, and so you need to retighten afterwards.
If you can feel a slight clunk rolling over small bumps, joins in the road surface or when just starting to brake, they need a tweak.

But you don't have to strip everything down again- loosen the top yoke clamp bolts, remove the two circlips top of the fork stem, and loosen the clipon bolts. Then, using a rubber, plastic-faced or wooden mallet, tap the top yoke upwards 10-15mm.
Now you can access the two locknuts, so tighten them so that there's just a tiny bit of resistance when the forks drop from one side to the other.
They can remain locked together, just tap them round using an old screwdriver as a drift, and move both together.

If you don't do the second adjustment and they remain loose, you'll have to replace them earlier than normal as you'll indent the races in the central position as you d before.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
john306

Post by john306 »

Cheers Tony, will do.

Only balls up I made was not checking the front lights were working before I replaced the fairing :eek2
It's only the position light, maybe I didn't push home the connector block hard enough, it's definately not the bulb as I've tried a few spares.
Oh well, could have been worse..... That's one of this coming weekends jobs to sort :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

john306 wrote:Update.....

I replaced the steering head bearings yesterday, it took a good portion of the day but that was constantly referring to the manual and double checking everything ans not rushing.

Took the bike out for a ride this morning and the wobble has gone, it's like riding a different (better) bike.
I've got more confidence through bends and everything feels nice and tight again as the general looseness has gone.

Thanks for all the help, I just need to tweak the suspension setting to suit now :D
I'm pleased for you that you found the problem, well done :thumbup:
As I said in an earlier post, don't worry about how long it takes. Doing what you did making sure you've done the job correctly is what's most important.

I agree with Tony Mon regarding checking the bearing adjustments as they bed in. When I fitted mine I ended up adjusting them two or three times in total, since then they've been fine,

Chris.