what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by VTRDark »

As you can most likely tell I am not a fan or believer in insurance and insurance companies. I have found my renewal notice from the last company that says 60% NCB whatever that means. I just need to try and convert that to years :roll: It was 3 I was continually insured for as I got the renewal notice in Feb and we are in 2016. I've not been off the road as long as I thought.

I just tried it with only the 3 years NCD instead of 4 and interestingly it's the same £98 TPO but did not give me the option for protected no claims. I shall probably go with this as I can prove it if asked...whatever 60% means :lol: But I have the paperwork for 2012 and then the renewal notice in 2016 which says 60%. Way too much small print and legal jargon for my liking. I reckon the systems in place are so complicated and they cover themselves so well that in reality the majority of drivers/riders on the roads insurance could be classed as void. It's almost imposable to be 100% totally honest especially when one adds modifications / changes from OM. wombles me I bet if they wanted to they could class a pattern part like a hi flo air filter as a modification because of it's name and I don't mean a K&N. :eek2
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:As you can most likely tell I am not a fan or believer in insurance and insurance companies. I have found my renewal notice from the last company that says 60% NCB whatever that means. I just need to try and convert that to years :roll: It was 3 I was continually insured for as I got the renewal notice in Feb and we are in 2016. I've not been off the road as long as I thought.

I just tried it with only the 3 years NCD instead of 4 and interestingly it's the same £98 TPO but did not give me the option for protected no claims. I shall probably go with this as I can prove it if asked...whatever 60% means :lol: But I have the paperwork for 2012 and then the renewal notice in 2016 which says 60%. Way too much small print and legal jargon for my liking. I reckon the systems in place are so complicated and they cover themselves so well that in reality the majority of drivers/riders on the roads insurance could be classed as void. It's almost imposable to be 100% totally honest especially when one adds modifications / changes from OM. wombles me I bet if they wanted to they could class a pattern part like a hi flo air filter as a modification because of it's name and I don't mean a K&N. :eek2
tbh it will all be on their database carlos, under a hundred quid is cheap enough, this year I actually took the plunge on a more comprehensive policy, it cost me £160, but included European cover and euro breakdown cover, fully comp plus protected ncb, I happy enough, but I agree, insurance is one big rip off
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

tbh it will all be on their database carlos
That's why I have been honest about my fixed penalty. I just done an e bike online quote and they wanted over £400 :lol: They have a very comprehensive list of bike modification you can add. I tried that too and it came up with about £80 more. Which hat did they pull those numbers from. :lol:
ConTRo13R

Post by ConTRo13R »

@cybercarl, I have been directed to ask you for advice on re clear coating carbon exhausts. Basically what is the best way to go about it? Many thanks
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

try hastings direct,they are realy competative at the moment.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Cheers Mick yeh worth a phone call. Sometimes going old school works out cheaper than the compare sites. :thumbup:

@ConTRo13R I used Hycote VHT Clear on my both my header pipe and carbon cans. Really nice to apply and it does not require heating up for it to fully cure.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191486528668? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Preparation can be done with some wet n dry (used wet). This will smooth out any irregularities and even out any discolouration in the carbon and also give it a good key for the clear coat to adhere to. Then give it a good wash down and wipe over with either some IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) or a tack rag. When applying the clear coat, the same as any other spray paint really, give it a light dust coat to begin with. Don't apply too much too quickly. Allow it to almost dry, go tacky and then give it a good solid coat for the final going over.

Before

After

Cor look at that header pipe

So far so good. I have allowed the bike to get hot but I have yet to take it out on a full days run and I'm happy with the results.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:Cheers Mick yeh worth a phone call. Sometimes going old school works out cheaper than the compare sites. :thumbup:

@ConTRo13R I used Hycote VHT Clear on my both my header pipe and carbon cans. Really nice to apply and it does not require heating up for it to fully cure.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191486528668? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Preparation can be done with some wet n dry (used wet). This will smooth out any irregularities and even out any discolouration in the carbon and also give it a good key for the clear coat to adhere to. Then give it a good wash down and wipe over with either some IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) or a tack rag. When applying the clear coat, the same as any other spray paint really, give it a light dust coat to begin with. Don't apply too much too quickly. Allow it to almost dry, go tacky and then give it a good solid coat for the final going over.

Before

After
You did a good job there Carl, I'm amazed at the difference of the before and after of the two cans :clap:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:eek2 :eek2 :eek2

Just done a Hastings direct online quote. You wont believe this. :eek2 8O

Another one drawn out of some imaginary hat. What I did notice is that it's the same underwriters (Axa) as e-bike. How the heck can one quote be £400 odd and another £100. These insurance companies are on drugs. It's not looking like I will get any cheaper than MCE.

@Sirch the two cans on the table is before I sprayed with clearcoat. That was only wet n dry. :biggrin
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:
@Sirch the two cans on the table is before I sprayed with clearcoat. That was only wet n dry. :biggrin
My eyesight isn't that bad yet, I can (please excuse the pun :wink: ) see the difference :thumbup: Good job anyway.

I used to be with eBike, they stopped doing the online quotations where you fill in all the details yourself with your mods. Also the price went up drastically for no apparent reason two years running, so I left them after 7yrs.
So have they now got the online quote thing back up and running again :?:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yep that's what I done. I thought that was the whole point e being for electronic or do I dare say it explorer ie internet only.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

While your at it give your workbench a coat of paint :lol:
ConTRo13R

Post by ConTRo13R »

Thank you so much cybercarl and thanks for the link too, that is some good work with the cans. I hope I can achieve something like that and not wombles it up.. These cans I got are just so beautiful, I'm nervous to touch them as I'm really happy with them as the are. It's just they are going onto a 20k+ a year commuter.

Those headers though, fancy doing mine?! They are eye popping, I can only dream of having something so nice, Mav617 will tell you how disgustingly brown mine is haha
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote::eek2 :eek2 :eek2

Just done a Hastings direct online quote. You wont believe this. :eek2 8O

Another one drawn out of some imaginary hat. What I did notice is that it's the same underwriters (Axa) as e-bike. How the heck can one quote be £400 odd and another £100. These insurance companies are on drugs. It's not looking like I will get any cheaper than MCE.

iirc when I did my insurance a few months ago, mce were always coming up the cheapest because they had a £1000 excess...... :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
so if your bike is an older example and not worth say £1500, it's like saying, yes your insured but your never going to claim because of the excess, just craxy.... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

they quoted me£176 for the tiger.way cheeper than anyone else. :eek2
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Knocking up some Ducati trumpets the same height as the originals. What a faf :roll:

Then concocting a way to hold them on the carbs, this is what I've done for now.

I know it's a ty wrap :o , but it does two jobs. One, it holds the clips in place & two, it prevents the screws from vibrating loose. The original plastic safety clips had to be removed because of the lack of clearance to the trumpet.