Bent Forks

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Ant

Bent Forks

Post by Ant »

Hello there,

The other day I noticed my forks were bent..... Bugger.

So decided that I'd get 'em straightened..... Yay!

Then noticed that they're kinked so I can't get them fixed..... Bugger again.

Therefore I'm gonna buy some Paulo & Franco stanchions from wemoto. Has anyone used these before and are they any good? I'm also using the all balls fork rebuild kit again same question anyone used this?

Cheers in advance,

Ant
If it's broken; should it move? Yes: Use WD40 No: Use cable ties. Now it's fixed!
tony.mon

Re: Bent Forks

Post by tony.mon »

The all balls taper roller kit is what you need.
Can't comment on the stanchions but there were some posts on here a couple of years back re thin plating or Ightfield rust on some so have a search.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

I have no personal experience of the Paulo forks as we did not use them on our BSB race bikes.
However, David Heal did, and he had severe handling difficulties. I must emphasise that they were being used under racing conditions.
David brought the bike to me and I told him that I considered that the Paulo forks were too stiff for a "V" twin which needs more flexibility due to the higher torque force the engine delivers. He followed my advise and reverted to '99 Fireblade forks with the Revolution Racing fork tune and the problem disappeared. I hope this helps in your deliberations.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Hello Roger, thank you for the advice, I wasn't expecting such an expert opinion! I must admit that I was more worried about wear and build quality as I don't think my level of riding will be stressing the fork out that much.

That being said, it's really interesting to think that, that sort of change could make such a difference! It's a whole other level of thinking. I guess they're made from a higher caebon content steel as they have to be the same id and od?

Thanks againg for the advice and I'll remember that cbr set up for the future!

Ant
If it's broken; should it move? Yes: Use WD40 No: Use cable ties. Now it's fixed!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

taking my life in my hands by questioning the guru here, as Roger knows more about suspension than I can ever imagine ..... but I think he might be thinking about a complete racing fork by Paioli rather than pattern fork legs from Paulo & Franco.
AMcQ
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

hmmmmmm
gold fork tubes.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-HONDA-VTR ... Sws65Tq~bc
wish they were a few hundred quid cheaper tho........... :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

AMCQ46 wrote:taking my life in my hands by questioning the guru here, as Roger knows more about suspension than I can ever imagine ..... but I think he might be thinking about a complete racing fork by Paioli rather than pattern fork legs from Paulo & Franco.
Sorry, you are correct. I jumped in too quickly with my answer before I read it properly. The forks I was talking about were the Paiolis. I have never seen these Paulo & Franco copies so I cannot comment on their build quality. Thank you for the correction. Roger