VTR Cafe Fighter Project

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Ant

Re: VTR Cafe Fighter Project

Post by Ant »

Cheers guys, hopefully gonna get some time this weekend to fit it properly.

It's easy to fit the way it is now, just a few tabs that need to be cut off and a couple of brackets to be made, I'll try and get some photos for you.

I'm gonna make my life more difficult though, at the mo the back of the seat sits flat to the floor and I want it to be parallel with the top of the tank. So I'm gonna cut off the bottom sub frame rails and replace them with some turned and threaded bar with rose joints on the ends. This should make it sit better with the tank. *should I'm no pro auto designer.
If it's broken; should it move? Yes: Use WD40 No: Use cable ties. Now it's fixed!
Ant

Post by Ant »

So had a bit of time today to play around. Modified the subframe to take the rose jiints and lift the back up a bit.

Then fitted it all together for a test. Think I'll be able to get away with using the standard undertray cut and shut a bit. Sorry for the crap photo there's not too much room to get a decent shot.

Think it looks way better. BTW the spirit level was to get the line from the top of the tank.
If it's broken; should it move? Yes: Use WD40 No: Use cable ties. Now it's fixed!
Demonic69

Post by Demonic69 »

That's looking good! How thick is the threaded rod, how strong will it be?
Also, what's the cafe part of the fighter? :wink:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Demonic69 wrote:That's looking good! How thick is the threaded rod, how strong will it be?
Also, what's the cafe part of the fighter? :wink:
He's fixing a coffee maker into the airbox & a toaster under the seat... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Ant

Post by Ant »

Hello demon, it's M10 threaded bar but I'll be turning up a permanent part from 20mm stainless.

As for the cafe part.... I've decided to do the bike in phases now, the cafe part will come later in the form of the seat. For now I'll be putting it back as I bought it with a few upgrades and nice paint etc.

Mac you forgot the griddle on top of the cylinder head :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Ant wrote:Hello demon, it's M10 threaded bar but I'll be turning up a permanent part from 20mm stainless.
Ah that's going to make all the difference IMHO, I couldn't help thinking what you have at the moment looked to spindly, although the lines look miles better. The thicker one should do the trick :thumbup:

Chris.
Demonic69

Post by Demonic69 »

sirch345 wrote:
Ant wrote:Hello demon, it's M10 threaded bar but I'll be turning up a permanent part from 20mm stainless.
Ah that's going to make all the difference IMHO, I couldn't help thinking what you have at the moment looked to spindly, although the lines look miles better. The thicker one should do the trick :thumbup:

Chris.
That was my worry, unless you're skinnier than the average biker ;-) Sounds like you've access to a lathe (and the skills to use one, unlike moi) so your you're sorted!

I've been fancying a cafe scrambler style bike for a while, though the hump in a racer would at least keep you on the bike :twisted:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Ohh no, im not a skinny biker bitch lol!

Had bit of time, over the weekend so I started fitting the seat a bit better. Trimmed up the seat fairing and the under tray. I'll put up some pics when I'm done.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I had a bit of time today to work on the bike :D

Managed to get the bottom yoke fitted (painted it last weekend)

As you can see, when I modified the frame and cut off the two tabs on the front of the headstock, I found out the bottom one is hollow and it's left a hole. So I bought this:

Gonna stick it over the hole, it's even got my name on it!

Then I got the angle grinder out and polished up the exhaust got a little more work to do on it but it's looking good! Took me less than an hour to get to this stage, thanks to a post about dronco polishing wheel I saw on here!

vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

Looking good mate look forward to more pics :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm really liking the paint on the frame, it has a granite look about it. Nice colour too. Headers are a nightmare to polish but you took the easy option LOL 2 whole days of rubbing it took me to get to the stage your at. They do look nice all shiny though. Got any more pics of the frame. I'd like to see a wide shot of that. What paint did you use or did you have it powdercoated.

Keep up the good work. I think this is going to be a bit special this one :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I like the frame colour [THUMBS UP SIGN].
Keep it up
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

you guys amaze me with your commitment to doing your bikes up. I generally buy something dirty but strip, clean and lube it then Ride it. Duffers were eagerly awaiting your too, Hows that going?.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good work Ant, well done :clap:

Chris.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Cheers Carl, Paul, Chris and loydie,

It's getting there slooooowly, should be some more movement next week as I'm taking the week off!

Carl: its a truck bed liner paint (got it from halfords but hycote do one too) It's hard as nails so it shouldn't wear BUT it will pick up the dirt as it is really bumpy, in fact sharp, like sand paper. Actually if you want to know what it looks like, it's like a really low grit wet and dry paper.