Starter trying to crank but cutting out

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
StewartR

Starter trying to crank but cutting out

Post by StewartR »

So as a little background, my storm has a 3 month old Yuasa that lives on an Optimate. It has been a tiny bit hesitant to start now and then but nothing to make me worry. I rode to Snowdonia from Hampshire Friday and it was fine, it was worryingly hesitant Saturday AM but then fine for the rest of the day and then Sunday...I rode form near Dolgellau, up to Capel Curing and then took the twisties in the lashing down rain (got to love those Michellin Pilot Road 3s ) back through Dolgellau where I refuelled and she started fine. Cracked on down past Rhayader, and refuelled just before getting onto the M4 for the final blast home and....nothing. Well, she cranked but gave up after a fraction of a second.

So from previous car based experience I'd say it was a fubar starter drawing too much for the battery to cope - any thoughts form you fine folk? And any way to test the theory?

Oh, and I was in Wales for a trail marathon Saturday and then went up the very steep east ridge of Moel Siabod Sunday - you can imagine how thrilled I was about the propspect of bumping a fully loaded Storm :thumbdown:

Awesome weekend though. This was Friday evening, and it pretty much stayed like this until the weather closed in on Sunday.
Wicky

Re: Starter trying to crank but cutting out

Post by Wicky »

Noice atomic sunset :cool2 :thumbup:

Check for loose battery terminals / and that electrical charging system connections are all clean and tight. Esp earths.

A well known problem is the OEM R/R (unfinned '97-'01)- look at upgrading it to a later upgraded finned version or better still a Mosfet R/R.

Check the starter motor for a corroded terminal - should be kept greased up under the rubber hood.
Last edited by Wicky on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
macdee

Post by macdee »

What sort of R/R have you on the bike my bike did the same before the standard R/R fried itself
Try another battery to see how that performs
Check the connection to the starter under the rubber boot
told you not to but oh no you knew better
StewartR

Post by StewartR »

Hi guys, should have said, the RR has been replaced with a finned one. That was the first mod I did after I joined this forum :)

I'll get the boot off and give that connector a check and clean. She doesn't get out in the rain much but my car has been off the road so for the last week she's been rolled out for the commute. That plus a solid 4+ hours riding in the rain yesterday and a bad connection makes a lot of sense. I'll check that and if I still have a problem will try the old RR and then an alternate battery.

I'll report back tonight...unless it's still heaving down of course.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

StewartR wrote:the RR has been replaced with a finned one. That was the first mod I did after I joined this forum :)
Wise move

Where did you source the R/R replacement? cheapy chinese ebay bargain or later genuine Honda? Have you got a multimeter to check battery voltage over time?

Long term if you're trekking off a lot might be worth fitting a voltmeter

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

StewartR

Post by StewartR »

The replacement RR is genuine Honda. I forget what bike it's from TBH but definitely a Honda.

I have a DVM I can use for static tests - last time I checked I was getting solid 14 and a bit volts. A permanently mounted meter seems a good thing though :thumbup: I wonder if I can get one that combines that and a clock and a gear indicator and...and...and :D
StewartR

Post by StewartR »

I wonder how well this would hold up inside a fairing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yosoo-Thermome ... B01BTTICMI
StewartR

Post by StewartR »

So under the boot all is grim. Didn't get it cleaned as the outer nut is done with being a nut and wants to be cut off but just a shake about and the bike starts again.

Is that just bit of M6 stud? Can I renew it and the nuts?

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Well & truly wombles. And just behind it are seals/fibre washers and if corrosion has spread deeper internally then it's on the way out.

Just replace it and remember to keep it vasalined up beneath the rubber hood.

Second-hand > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB-900- ... Sw0vBUfnWT

And for comparison...

New starter > http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces- ... STORM.html

New starter cable > http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces- ... STORM.html

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Try not to let the bolt spin when removing the rusted nuts. If it does the internal insulator can become damaged and you cannot buy replacements separately,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Number 2 here Chris but it's probably easier to by a used starter of eBay. This drawing may help Stewart as well.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html
==============================Enter the Darkside
StewartR

Post by StewartR »

Cheers all - got a £20 motor and cable on the way off of that ebay :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:Number 2 here Chris but it's probably easier to by a used starter of eBay. This drawing may help Stewart as well.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html
I think you'll find No2 is just the brush set Carl, the square headed bolt in front of the brush set and the insulator which is next do not have a number for them, which afaik means you can't buy them on their own, separately,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You may be right I just assumed it came with it as a kit looking at the price as it's not listed directly. Quite few spares when bought genuine come in a kit form.
==============================Enter the Darkside
StewartR

Post by StewartR »

New motor arrived, fitted and working like...well like a starter motor. Thanks for all the input folks :thumbup: