brake pad backing plate ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gcs

brake pad backing plate ?

Post by gcs »

Just changed my front brake pads today, certainly feels better. Easy job to do. On inspecting old pads (after finishing job of course) I noticed a backing plate which can be pulled off ( drilled for heat dissapation ?) should I have put these on the new pads?, will it make any difference? Any thoughts appreciated thanks.
Craig from the land of the long white cloud. Teal VTR 2001.
gcs

Re: brake pad backing plate ?

Post by gcs »

gcs wrote:Just changed my front brake pads today, certainly feels better. Easy job to do. On inspecting old pads (after finishing job of course) I noticed a backing plate which can be pulled off ( drilled for heat dissapation ?) should I have put these on the new pads?, will it make any difference? Any thoughts appreciated thanks.
Ive just found out that yes you do refit the backing plate, bugger!! :oops:

Oh well, guess wot im doing tomorrow :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nothing worse than having to answer your own question :lol:
If the backing plate you're referring too is probably under 1mm in thickness I think it's more than likely a anti-squeak shim only, it won't affect your brakes performance but you may find an annoying squeak or squeal every-time to apply the brakes. Anti-squeak shims when fitted are coated in copper-slip grease to both sides of the shim, a light coating only :!:
gcs

Post by gcs »

thanx matey.. I had a step by step guide to do VTR brake pad change, BUT do you think i could find it when i needed it, its in full colour too, from a local bike mag. Probably instructions and the parts to be used cant exist in the same place at the same time. Of course once the job was done, other bits found, question posted, ihappened to look in the right place and there it was, answer and all :roll: oh well better fix it then :!: :!:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

gcs wrote:thanx matey.. I had a step by step guide to do VTR brake pad change, BUT do you think i could find it when i needed it, its in full colour too, from a local bike mag. Probably instructions and the parts to be used cant exist in the same place at the same time. Of course once the job was done, other bits found, question posted, ihappened to look in the right place and there it was, answer and all :roll: oh well better fix it then :!: :!:
LOL That's typical is that :!: :) Glad you found it in the end :!: :D

Chris.
eddvtr1000

Post by eddvtr1000 »

gcs are the new pads honda or another make, if they are honda originals yes you do have to refit those little plates.
if the pads arent honda you do not need to fit them as all you will do is pack the pad out to much and cuase it to scrape till they have bedded in.
and thats come from a honda mechanic :)
4 cyl = 2ltr , 2 cyl = 1ltr it's all relative.
gcs

Post by gcs »

Thanx eddvtr1000 Ive already put them in and havent heard any scrapeing noises, so Ill leave them there at the moment and see what happens, the pads are vesrah bought throu a honda dealer, lots cheaper than oem ,but you get what you pays for, I think for my riding style (if i have one) theyll be ok. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: