RTH - Factory Pro Shift Star kit install help req'd

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Twitchy

RTH - Factory Pro Shift Star kit install help req'd

Post by Twitchy »

Guys, posted this on SH last night but no response yet. Any ideas much appreciated.
Installed my FP Shift kit, and it says in the FP instructions to keep the clutch transmission from turning, and rotate the rear wheel and go up and down through the gears to check operation. So with the rear wheel stationary, I click the shifter down into 1st, done. Squat down on the left side of the bike, spin the rear wheel as fast as possible, and click into 2nd, then 3rd etc etc, and then back down again.

My problem is the shift sequence gets stuck between gears. On one check through it will happen at the 5th to 6th change, get it back to 1st, then it might happen between 2nd to 3rd, get it back to 1st, then it might happen 4th to 5th. Seems random wher it gets stuck, but it gets stuck either on the peak of the star, or very close to it. When it gets stuck, I cannot get the star to move in either direction. Its like the shifter fork hits something immovable. The only way I can got it to move back down the ramp of the peak is to jiggle the shifter fork at the star end, and the star will click down into gear. Occasionally it happens going down the gears, but quite regularly going up the gears. The star is located correctly on the shaft and bolt tightened accordingly. I can use my finger with a fair bit of pressure to lift the detent arm, so I know that is not binding anywhere. What have I missed???

Also, maybe unrelated, maybe related. I happened to try the clutch lever action while the clutch is removed and it is rock hard. I cannot squeeze the lever in. Well, maybe I could but don't want to damage anything. Gave it a fairly good tug and no movement whatsoever. Any ideas on that one??
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638
Varastorm

Re: RTH - Factory Pro Shift Star kit install help req'd

Post by Varastorm »

Hi Twitchy, this has to be sorted, because I'd like one of these setup's.

Reading about your issue has got me a little confused, about why your spinning the rear wheel as fast as possible?

Surely when you go up & down the box it'll engage the engine & stop the wheel from turning instantly?

Also, whilst trying to reach all the gears, wouldn't it be similar to trying to get a manual car into each gear whilst the engine's off? I've never been able to do it, because all the gears in the gearbox will never line up. You might get first, second & reverse, or third, fourth & fifth, but never access to all the gears whilst the engine is not running.

The problem with the clutch, am I right in thinking that the slave cylinder relies on pressure from the clutch springs to bring it back? So if it's been used whilst the clutch has been removed is there a possibility the slave has pushed the actuator piston out too far or similar?

Just a few ideas, sorry if I am rambling on, it's late...Hope you sort it btw & keep us posted :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Have you seated the arm and Spring correctly ?
Make sure there's no side to side movement .
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Ok, update. I received a response from Marc at FP and he suggested turning the clutch shaft to check gear selection, rather than spinning the rear wheel. A couple of the shift require me to hold the shifter up for longer than usual to get the engagement, rather than click up and let go. As I drained the oil prior to starting the job, I expect (HOPE!) that with a gutfull of fresh oil and the engine idling, everything will be ok.

Varastorm, FP instruction sheet says to 'stop clutch transmission shaft from turning, rotate rear wheel and go through the gears, up and down to check operation'. By me turning the splined shaft I was able to go up and down, e.g. 1st to 2nd nice click, 2nd to 3rd nice click, 3rd to 4th clicks out of 3rd but need to keep the upwards pressure for a couple of seconds before it clicks into 4th. And as mentioned in the first post, its random which shift it happens at. Problem now is my torque wrench only goes to 105nm and the nut is 127nm. Need to borrow a bigger wrench from work tomorrow. And I know what you mean about a manual car with the engine off - that is what I am hoping is happening!

Varastorm, as for the clutch thing I think you could be correct.

Lloydie, detent arm correctly seated and I can lift it with my finger with a reasonable amount of force against the spring. Moves up and down nice and smoothly.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Do you not need to hold the clutch in while shifting when engine not running? His will enable you to spin the rear and select all gears. You wouldn't need to turn the complete wheel but simply rock it one way or other for it to shift.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Comparing a motorbike transmission to an automotive transmission is not really relevant in that a automotive trans uses syncro's while a motorbike trans uses dogs.

So they will shift differently. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.