Advice on where to start..........

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
playerone

Advice on where to start..........

Post by playerone »

Bike broke down at weekend, half hour after passing mot and getting taxed for the year :evil: it did restart after about 40 mins but only for a few seconds and sounded like a couple of full socket sets with a few spanners rattling around in a cement mixer...........
It already has mcct's fitted by a resident guru so I'm 99.99999999% sure I can rule that out but could do with some advice/suggestions as to what else it could be???
Fortunately I'll have a helping hand in this task with someone who actually knows one end of a spanner from the other :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mav617

Re: Advice on where to start..........

Post by Mav617 »

Well, my TRX did the same when the mechanic didn't reset the front camchain tensioner and scrapped the head. Think you need to start getting it stripped really Neil :(
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
playerone

Post by playerone »

the way it sounded I'd already put money on it being a new engine job, the mcct's were fitted a couple of years ago and it's done a few miles in that time and there was no indication that was the problem, I know the sound of cam chain slap only too well from a previous bike :(
But your probably right, only way to find out for certain is just to dive and and get it stripped.....bugger.......
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Doesn't sound good - Have either of the two MCCTs unwound?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
playerone

Post by playerone »

Wicky wrote:Doesn't sound good - Have either of the two MCCTs unwound?
no, I did check that this afternoon inbetween fighting with the carbs.........
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

All you can do is to start with the easy stuff and work your way in.
Take off the clutch cover and you can check the clutch, oil pump, rear cam chain and water pump.
Then pull the alternator off and make sure that it's nice and tight on the crank shaft end. And once the alternator is off you can see the front cam chain.
Next, rads off to give you access, and pull both heads.
You should have found something by then, if not its mains, big ends or gearbox.
Have fun
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
playerone

Post by playerone »

tony.mon wrote:All you can do is to start with the easy stuff and work your way in.
Take off the clutch cover and you can check the clutch, oil pump, rear cam chain and water pump.
Then pull the alternator off and make sure that it's nice and tight on the crank shaft end. And once the alternator is off you can see the front cam chain.
Next, rads off to give you access, and pull both heads.
You should have found something by then, if not its mains, big ends or gearbox.
Have fun
oh joy, cheers tony :lol: :lol:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

You can always start by just pulling the valve covers to see if the valve lashes have opened up.

This will tell you if the valves are bent quick and easy. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.