Wiring Question

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gl_s_r

Wiring Question

Post by gl_s_r »

Can anyone please confirm with the schematics (98-00) that I should be able to just ground the Lg and G/W wires from the Ignition Control Module and it will fool the bike into starting when the clutch switch, side stand switch and neutral switch have been removed?

Can I also assume that the G/R wire to the starter relay switch also needs grounding for this to work?

Can I also assume there is no neutral "map" as such to the ignition control module if I do this?

Thanks muchly in advance..
Last edited by gl_s_r on Thu May 05, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
MacV2

Re: Wiring Question

Post by MacV2 »

Electrickery...It's all hocus pocus to me...no help at all sorry...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

I'm never quite sure myself with it all either Maccy... think it warrants a question and hopefully isn't a silly one either!
eamonn

Post by eamonn »

Clutch switch .? Mine starts without engaging the clutch !,,
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

And if it is in gear?
popkat

Post by popkat »

I found this if anyone can work it out, I'm not sure to comment but if anyone else might have an idea.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RMlI ... iagram.png

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

gl_s_r wrote:Can anyone please confirm with the schematics (98-00) that I should be able to just ground the Lg and G/W wires from the Ignition Control Module and it will fool the bike into starting when the clutch switch, side stand switch and neutral switch have been removed?
As far as I can make out. Yes. But, if it was me, I would like to put a meter on the ECU connections and check it's okay just to ground them.
gl_s_r wrote:Can I also assume that the G/R wire to the starter relay switch also needs grounding for this to work?
You might not need to if the Lg is grounded as it will pull the G/R lead down to ground through the Diode in the fuse box.
That's provided my eyes haven't gone completely squiffy trying to read Poppers diagram :D
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
popkat

Post by popkat »

Pete.L wrote:
gl_s_r wrote:Can anyone please confirm with the schematics (98-00) that I should be able to just ground the Lg and G/W wires from the Ignition Control Module and it will fool the bike into starting when the clutch switch, side stand switch and neutral switch have been removed?
As far as I can make out. Yes. But, if it was me, I would like to put a meter on the ECU connections and check it's okay just to ground them.
gl_s_r wrote:Can I also assume that the G/R wire to the starter relay switch also needs grounding for this to work?
You might not need to if the Lg is grounded as it will pull the G/R lead down to ground through the Diode in the fuse box.
That's provided my eyes haven't gone completely squiffy trying to read Poppers diagram :D

If you hover over the diagram and click on it, it blows up really big :wink:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Watty

Post by Watty »

popkat wrote:
Pete.L wrote:

If you hover over the diagram and click on it, it blows up really big :wink:

For old eyes :crazy:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
macdee

Post by macdee »

if you were to connect lg to ground would that not be doing away with the neutral position switch meaning you could start the bike whilst it was in gear
told you not to but oh no you knew better
vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

Without looking at the wiring diagram but from memory,I just traced the 3 wires into the loom for the side stand switch then use a multimeter and check which of the 2 wires to the side stand switch has continuity when the stand is up.link the wires then you don't need the stand switch.

I wired the clutch switch into the starter circuit so the clutch must be pulled in before the starter solenoid will energise.

If you don't want the clutch switch I think without looking at wiring diagram it would no longer be needed as the ignition module thinks the side stand is up anyway.

You can make a plug that just connects to the looms plug that way you can put it back anytime.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

vtrjames wrote:Without looking at the wiring diagram but from memory,I just traced the 3 wires into the loom for the side stand switch then use a multimeter and check which of the 2 wires to the side stand switch has continuity when the stand is up.link the wires then you don't need the stand switch.

I wired the clutch switch into the starter circuit so the clutch must be pulled in before the starter solenoid will energise.

If you don't want the clutch switch I think without looking at wiring diagram it would no longer be needed as the ignition module thinks the side stand is up anyway.

You can make a plug that just connects to the looms plug that way you can put it back anytime.
My HRC box doesn't "see" the side stand but the clutch switch still is operational so I believe you need to do a bit more than just eliminate the side stand switch to get rid of the clutch switch.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Hello Mark :wave: right now you have pulled yourself of floor from shock the following diagram may help too mate. :thumbup:

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 43#p334848
==============================Enter the Darkside