Tragedy strikes again

General Biker Banter
BigD

Tragedy strikes again

Post by BigD »

My neighbour and his mate went out for a ride on Sunday morning - neighbour came back on his own. Mate dead on arrival at hospital. I would have gone with them but for a christening.

My neighbour is selling his bike as a result as it has shook him up. I'll be under pressure to do the same from my missus. I bet if you do a poll on here, there will be quite a few who have had friends die, know people who have died, had a close shave or been seriously injured themselves. The odds seem stacked.

I think I need some re-assurance.
Max

Post by Max »

Sorry to hear your story, my sympathy to all envolved.
Max

Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Sad news indeed.

As for keeping riding. I don't know if it's because fo the job I do, but my view is we will all die at some point, if you go about worrying you will never do anything in Life. I could get knocked down by a bus tomorrow or I could live until I'm 100. Worry will not make any difference.
There are more people killed on building sites than on motorbikes!

Paul
Paddockstand Ltd

Post by Paddockstand Ltd »

Hits us all mate, never a nice thing. You just got to keep going.
Regards

Steve

Paddockstand Ltd
www.paddockstand.co.uk
BigD

Post by BigD »

I've always known the risks, and really what happened shouldn't change anything. It acts as a reality check I suppose. Its different I think for my neighbour, he was actually with him when it happened.

The other thing as well is I usually ride on my own. I know my limitations and I go at my own pace. Riding in groups may force you to do things you may not do on your own. I don't know.

Thanks for your comments thus far
Badger

Post by Badger »

Sad news mate,

but how many people die each year through smoking :?: & do they get the same thrill as riding a bike.

Keep your chin up.

Alan
SILVER ZIPPER

Post by SILVER ZIPPER »

Sorry about the loss. Condolences to the family.
Biking is full of danger's if you love it(and i think you do)
you'll stick with it.
I've lost friend's and it make's you think,but they loved bike's and riding and knew the risk's.
I don't think anyone of them would want anyone to stop riding.
I HATE IT WHEN I HAVE TO PUT IT AWAY........
curly

Post by curly »

It's a sad thing when something like this happens, it certainly makes you think.
I agree about riding in groups, it does make you ride above your normal limits some times.
Carry on riding mate, things like this will always happen.
Life is for living, doing the things you want to do. Just get out there and enjoy it!
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

going to a funeral myself this saturday. in dundee. one of our dundee biker forum members was killed on his bike last weekend .[davie hepburn].
he was one of four or five fatalities .in that week alone on the roads up this way..this will be my first biker related funeral...I dare say it wont be the last.
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
SILVER ZIPPER

Post by SILVER ZIPPER »

Perfect sence Kaz.
Take the bike to Inverness.
I HATE IT WHEN I HAVE TO PUT IT AWAY........
OldBob

Post by OldBob »

Condolences

Your heart always sinks a little when you read something like that, sinks more when the person is a familiar face.

Agree with riding in groups does make you try a little harder that you should, but I just think of my daughters big brown eyes and surprisingly I slow down a little. The group will always be there even if you're a little later turning up.

Yes, leaving this world on a bike is a more pleasant way, but I'd rather do it when I'm 99.
The man with the cam (http://www.d70portfolio.com)
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

Ive been into Bikes since I was 17,and over these years there have been a few friends and fellow bikers who have been lost along the way
(I did hear about Davie,my condolences ZeroZero,there have already been far to many losses this year in our neck of the woods)
Of course I reflect every now and again on the what ifs & I am sure My family would All be happy if bikes were not in my life,
However it is My life and the choices and mistakes made in it will be mine.
I think i would have lived a poorer life had i not been into bikes as I would never have met so many larger than life characters along way,
I cant imagine there being any other way.
Enjoy life nothing lasts for ever.
jcdj

Post by jcdj »

Sorry to hear of your loss, we had a biker down 3 weeks ago never knew him other than through our forum.

shocking stuff.

but life goes on and you cant change what you love.

Take it easy guys its still not quite summer so dont ride like it is.
I love my storm and I really dont want another bike what am I going to do
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Sorry too hear about the sad loss, my condolences to all concerned, RIP.

Chris.
trebs

Post by trebs »

jcdj wrote:Take it easy guys its still not quite summer so dont ride like it is.
bingo.

Life is a risk, some of us take more risks than others. By being on 2 wheels, we're high up on that list, whether it's out own fault or not. That's the risk we calculate every time we climb aboard.

Sad to hear of a loss, any loss. Always somone's child, partner, always a lasting effect

Respect,
Rob.