Any benefit in getting cams ground up?

General Biker Banter
Stephan

Re: Any benefit in getting cams ground up?

Post by Stephan »

And one more point. Why falicon wheels? My cam gears have just filed holes for bolts holding the cams, it is practically the same. I have no doubt you can file them as well :)
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Stephan wrote:And one more point. Why falicon wheels? My cam gears have just filed holes for bolts holding the cams, it is practically the same. I have no doubt you can file them as well :)
Hi Stephan, the Falicons & springs are new old stock & were cheapish for the UK. I just had to have them :lol: even though I might not use them or the springs.

As your more than likely finding out yourself, bits like these are getting harder & harder to source, so if they are in my budget I get them.

I feel that I can give a good home to any cam profile now & if I don't use them they go on eBay.

BTW, how is your bike doing with the new cams? Pros & cons etc..
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Varastorm wrote:
Stephan wrote:BTW, how is your bike doing with the new cams? Pros & cons etc..
feels like stock but stronger, no cons. As I said before, I cannot say how only cams change the bike as it was part of whole rebuilt. I just plan to finish fuelling using flo commander and some little experiment with open airbox. But this configuration is definitely working good.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Been reading about this sort of thing today.
Lots of guys did it back in the olde days.
We called them belly grinds.
You braced it against your belly while pushing it into the grinding wheel. Surprisingly some worked very well.
:wtf:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre ... ng.238822/
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote:Been reading about this sort of thing today.
Lots of guys did it back in the olde days.
We called them belly grinds.
You braced it against your belly while pushing it into the grinding wheel. Surprisingly some worked very well.
:wtf:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre ... ng.238822/
I like that :wink: :thumbup: It worked though according to your link :D

Chris.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Just found a local crowd that can do the cams for $420 NZD for ground and $900 for a hardface job.

Hmmmmmm
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There's no point leaving them unhardened, as the lobes wear and you end up back at stock lifts -or worse.
My Base circle grinds lasted less than two years before lift was same as stock.
Properly or not at all....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

tony.mon wrote:There's no point leaving them unhardened, as the lobes wear and you end up back at stock lifts -or worse.
My Base circle grinds lasted less than two years before lift was same as stock.
Properly or not at all....
Righto, that answers that. Cheers
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Hmmm, can I harden the cams at home? :twisted:
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

NZSpokes wrote:Hmmm, can I harden the cams at home? :twisted:
Wouldn't case hardening be done before finish grinding?
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

By removing material off the base circle the valve is moved further in the same amount of time, therefore the valve acceleration rate is higher? Am I right there? How do the stock springs cope with this?

I'm just an inquisitive type, so please don't be offended. It's just a question out of interest.

Edit: the duration would also increase, yes?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Dendrob wrote:By removing material off the base circle the valve is moved further in the same amount of time, therefore the valve acceleration rate is higher? Am I right there? How do the stock springs cope with this?

I'm just an inquisitive type, so please don't be offended. It's just a question out of interest.

Yes, the valve acceleration rate increases, but stock springs are good quality, and the Rev limit is quite low compared to il4's, so doesn't give problems.
I just used the original springs without problems, but to be sure you could use new ones. Stronger springs are available, but you lose some power using them.
You can alter the duration or lift or both.
A base circle grind allows up to ten degrees of additional duration, and then it's up to you whether you want to increase or decrease overlap.
If you increase lift I would think that an increase in duration would be a good idea, as it allows a slower ramp and more control of the valve, with less likelihood of valve bounce, but Benny Hedges ran some quite extreme cams with no valve bounce issues, it's on here somewhere and so worth a read to see what springs he used.
You won't be able to ask him, though. He died a while back.
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

tony.mon wrote:
Dendrob wrote:By removing material off the base circle the valve is moved further in the same amount of time, therefore the valve acceleration rate is higher? Am I right there? How do the stock springs cope with this?

Yes, the valve acceleration rate increases, but stock springs are good quality, and the Rev limit is quite low compared to il4's, so doesn't give problems.
I just used the original springs without problems, but to be sure you could use new ones. Stronger springs are available, but you lose some power using them.
A base circle grind allows up to ten degrees of additional duration, and then it's up to you whether you want to increase or decrease overlap.
If you increase lift I would think that an increase in duration would be a good idea, as it allows a slower ramp and more control of the valve, with less likelihood of valve bounce, but Benny Hedges ran some quite extreme cams with no valve bounce issues, it's on here somewhere and so worth a read to see what springs he used.
Thanks Tony. Very interesting.

Sad end to your post.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Dendrob wrote:
tony.mon wrote:

Thanks Tony. Very interesting.

Sad end to your post.
Good funeral, though, if you can say that....
He had sold me those cams, I'd paid but was waiting for them to be posted. They went missing when he died, they're out there somewhere I suppose.
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

Perhaps with him in the ether.