Exhaust header gaskets?

General Biker Banter
NZSpokes

Exhaust header gaskets?

Post by NZSpokes »

Im not far off swapping my headers out for new ones. As far as I can see the headers have not been off. Yes I will use a nut splitter to get the old nuts off.

The copper gaskets are not in stock here and will take a month for honda to get them. :crazy:

Whats my chances of being able to reuse my old ones?
Wicky

Re: Exhaust header gaskets?

Post by Wicky »

Whats my chances of being able to reuse my old ones?
Very little as the gaskets are collapsible hollow copper rings.

David Silvers here in the UK have em in stock and I can't imagine they'll take a month to get them to you.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... 291MM8880/

Don't forget to get the graphite header / link pipe seals as well just in case if your system uses them.
Last edited by Wicky on Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I'd suggest you give up on the local dealers, Spokes. I've been using Partzilla in the US for the last year, everything had turned up within about 2 weeks, and the prices (with freight) are about 2/3 of the local dealer price.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Cheers guys. I will order online as it seems to much from Honda. Will get some other bits at the same time.
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

Just out of interest, how do you get the new ones in? Do you need some sort of seal driver or press?
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

mellis wrote:Just out of interest, how do you get the new ones in? Do you need some sort of seal driver or press?
If they are like other bikes I have worked on you just push em in the hole.......

Lloydie will probably recommend lube but thats Lloyd....
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

NZSpokes wrote:
mellis wrote:Just out of interest, how do you get the new ones in? Do you need some sort of seal driver or press?
If they are like other bikes I have worked on you just push em in the hole.......

Lloydie will probably recommend lube but thats Lloyd....
A bit of sticky stuff won't hurt to hold them in place till you fit the headers ,
Could use lube tho
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Old ones can be tricky to get out as they they get crushed and pushed into the recess, and covered in sooty carbon - just pry them out. New ones just plop in.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just smear high-temp silicon onto the end of the header and re-use for now. They'll just re-sit in the same place, at the same angle, so the seal should still work.
The worst that happens is that you get the occasional pop or bang out of the exhaust on the overrun. No reason to keep the bike off the road for weeks.

I prefer the copper o-ring ones to the aftermarket aluminium compressible ones, but they no longer fill the copper with asbestos string, so they're not as effective as in the old days (walks off muttering about stuff not being as good as the old days.....)
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.