Best way to transport and engine???

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Best way to transport and engine???

Post by freeridenick »

Might be a stupid question with an obvious answer - put it in something strong and secure it firmly - but are there anything specific things I need to consider? Bits that break easily or places where fluid leaks etc. I've no idea yet if it's dry or wet.

Don't have a van so it's going in the boot of the car.
VTR Phoenix

Re: Best way to transport and engine???

Post by VTR Phoenix »

In some sort of box, preferably plastic with plastic sheeting underneath. This should help with any fluids that may still be in the engine and might spill out.
Secure with rope, ratchet straps or similar. Not bungee cords!
Keep well away from the boot window, just in case it does move or fall.
Only things on the engine that could bend are brackets and oil lines. Don't rest on the oil filter or bash the starter motor about.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

just to add, if this is a replacement engine check all engine mounting points to ensure all intact and no broken bolts in there, front sprocket spline not stripped, engine cases for cracks or repair and exhaust mounting points for snapped studs.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

I find the best results are with a frame and wheels :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though plug any holes with rag to stop fluid leakage use bits of wood to hold engine in upright position wedged in the corner of the boot if possible and try to use ratchet straps to hold in place. :thumbup:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Cheers.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

freeridenick wrote:Might be a stupid question with an obvious answer - put it in something strong and secure it firmly - but are there anything specific things I need to consider? Bits that break easily or places where fluid leaks etc. I've no idea yet if it's dry or wet.

Don't have a van so it's going in the boot of the car.
I've prepped two for shipping I used a plastic crate* with a bit of ply in the bottom, with some bits on timber screwed down to that, that the sump sat in to stop it moving about. Both then transported onwards in cars.

If your picking it up yourself grab a crate & make the timber chocks for it before you go, take the measurements off the sump on your bike. As suggested take some plastic sheet as well & a couple of ratchet straps.

If it has the oil cooler pipes still on it take 'em off & plug the holes...plasticne, blu tack, rag & tape...Without them it will sit nicer in the crate, either that or bend the feckers out of the way...

* The crates I used were the ones that the supermarkets use for fruit n veg & delivering the home shopping in, lovingly liberated from various establishments when ever I can...I sugest you pop into your local minimart or whatever & see if you can get hold of one.

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Top advice Mac. As ever. First time I'll have been shopping for a good while.
lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 »

I'm in Knottingley near ferrybridge services (A1-M62 intersection) and have a crate just like that, if you are picking the engine p from anywhere near me you are welcome to pick the crate up
If at first you don't succeed.....sky diving isn't for you!

http://www.facebook.com/bob.morton.125
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

Macs advice is sound i have done this three times now with no problems, only hassle is lifting it in and out of the boot, you need two people !
adyf

Post by adyf »

Steve you're a Yorkshire man and a chippy like me , two people lift my butt , I could get it in the boot balanced on my huge rigid member , look no hands ! You've got soft living down south lol ,ady.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

lockwood1956 wrote:I'm in Knottingley near ferrybridge services (A1-M62 intersection) and have a crate just like that, if you are picking the engine p from anywhere near me you are welcome to pick the crate up
:thumbup: Thanks for the offer but it's in Milton Keynes and I think you're too far north for a detour.
lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 »

Baskets are outside of my house in case I am still hung over and/or asleep when you get here in the morning (planning on a face-full tonight!!)

Picture for reference

I left two out just in case :D

If at first you don't succeed.....sky diving isn't for you!

http://www.facebook.com/bob.morton.125