Chain sprocket wear indicating alignment issues..

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Geordie

Chain sprocket wear indicating alignment issues..

Post by Geordie »

Another question.. !
My rear sprocket has significant wear on the inside only outside being OK. Makes me think the chain wasn't quite aligned correctly.. They are junk now as I'm replacing them anyway but I have always checked wheel alignment back to front everytime the rear wheel had been off.. The old sprockets chain have done 13000 miles which is pretty good suits not been excess wear just an.odd pattern. Sprocket was mounted correctly step to the outside and axle spacers as I bought the bike.. Just wondering if anybody had the same.
Geordie
tony.mon

Re: Chain sprocket wear indicating alignment issues..

Post by tony.mon »

Sounds like the spacers were fitted to the wrong sides.....
Put a length of dowel or a straight edge on the sprocket face and make sure it lines up.
That might also explain your rear brake pad asymmetrical wear.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Hmm.. Well the spacer on the left side is the flanged one? It always has been on my bike anyway. Flange to outside.. The other spacer is just a regular section of tubing and it butt up against the caliper carrier.. Sprocket carrier mates up to wheel square and tight.. I'm going to assemble without the chain and see how the sprockets line up..
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Is there any such spacers at the Swingarm pivot? It's been ages since I had that off and I can't remember anything.. everything else had always lined up OK..
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Geordie wrote:Is there any such spacers at the Swingarm pivot? It's been ages since I had that off and I can't remember anything.. everything else had always lined up OK..
Nope just the two wheel spacers. The chain adjuster marks may be out. Dont rely on them, if thay are out & you line them up the same on each side the wheel wont be straight. As Tony says use a straight edge to check the sprocket is straight.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Yeah I've always gone with the indentations on the bracket as the taped green indicators are worn away.. In addition I also check that front and back wheels are running in line using a straight edge and spacers the front so nothing 'should' be out of alignment. I'll report back when I've assembled everything minus chain and aligned up as I usually do then I'll do as suggested with a straight edge against sprockets..
Thanks for suggestions guys
George
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yeah, I thought one might be flanged, but its a long time since I had a std rear wheel fitted.
How about mixing up the rear unflanged one with one of the front ones?
Checked the rear sa pivot bearings?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Just bolted all together torqued up no chain and yes the rear is about half a sprocket further out or aligned further out than the front. . Hm.. So adjusted the alignment of rear wheel so they line up and the adjusters at the back are out by half a notch.. More worryingly spying down the bike it kinda looks like the Swingarm has a twist surely not?? Is there anyway I can check without taking it off.. Might just be the way it's sitting on the paddock stand.. Is this common??