My poor Storm :(

General Biker Banter
wall.j

Re: My poor Storm :(

Post by wall.j »

So far so good. Plastex works a treat! Bonded, sanded, filled and primed ready for painting. You can't even see where the cracks were... Just hope I can get a good finish with the top coat...

I have an unrelated question if anyone can help reference my exhaust... When I purchased the bike, it came with original pipes. I purchased some cheap and cheerful modified ducati racing exhausts of eBay. When I removed my original pipes, there was some sort of exhaust tape or something I had to scrape off where the link pipes connected to the original exhaust. Does anyone know why this was there? Is it becsuse the link pipes are not the original, but designed for aftermarket pipes have a smaller diameter?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

When I removed my original pipes, there was some sort of exhaust tape or something I had to scrape off where the link pipes connected to the original exhaust.
?? Photo

Most use a graphite seal/ gasket - See No.6 18392-MG7-750. And if you want to upgrade clamps I recommend Mikalor Supra W4 fully stainless steel. And some after market link pipes clamp on to original header section without a seal. If you still need something to create a seal use very hi temp silicone.

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces- ... STORM.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/21g-High-Temp ... 1917898068
Last edited by Wicky on Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

I don't have a pictures as it was last year, just thought if I ever wanted to put the original ones back on, they'd be too big for the link pipes. The aftermarket ones slid straight on without the need for this gasket, is that normal? I thought the aftermarkets and pipes were the same size at first, until I realised that I could remove this gasket.
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

Excuse my terminology. The gasket was like a collar around where the link pipes joined the exhaust, correct?
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

Yes, that could well be what I had to scrape off. It came off in pieces, I thought it was some sort of bodge... That's good that it's not. Thanks guys!
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

Hey guys,

So, I've primed the fairings ready for painting and rubbed with some 1200 grit wet and dry. I've got a nice, smooth finish ready for painting. I've got a couple of cans of black gloss paint, I was just wondering what's the best way moving forward. I was thinking of a couple of light coats, with a light sand with 1200 wet and dry, with a nice final coat. I wasn't planning on using laquer as I'm using gloss paint. Do you think this will give me a good finish? If not, could I get away with a 2000 grit after the above before a cut and polish? I've read so many different ways, I'm just not sure what's the best option. Any tips?
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

wall.j wrote:Hey guys,

So, I've primed the fairings ready for painting and rubbed with some 1200 grit wet and dry. I've got a nice, smooth finish ready for painting. I've got a couple of cans of black gloss paint, I was just wondering what's the best way moving forward. I was thinking of a couple of light coats, with a light sand with 1200 wet and dry, with a nice final coat. I wasn't planning on using laquer as I'm using gloss paint. Do you think this will give me a good finish? If not, could I get away with a 2000 grit after the above before a cut and polish? I've read so many different ways, I'm just not sure what's the best option. Any tips?
i'd still recommend lacquer, as it'll protect the paint.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

Would I be better swapping for a non gloss black, and using a laquer as well then?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Did you get black colour rattlecans matching your bikes colour code? (sticker on the bike's subframe)

For a final finish I would recommend pro-xl clear lacquer :thumbup:

For the localised repair and finish remember to carefully blend the spray to the existing paintwork.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

wall.j wrote:Would I be better swapping for a non gloss black, and using a laquer as well then?
just use both mate, it'll add to the protection :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I recommend waiting till it's warmer unless you have a heated booth .
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

Following the advice above, I have taken back the generic black gloss I purchased and instead got my local paint shop to make me some cans of matching colour from the colour code and purchased some of the pro xl lacquer. All ready to go! I'm using a friends flat that he is refurbish and will keep a heater on in the room for a couple of days. This stuff dries in no time at all apparently, 24 hours after after lacquer and it's ready for polish... I'll give it a couple of days though. £65 all in, as apposed to the £15 I'd spend previously. God, I hope I don't mess it up!
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Good luck, no real tips as I'm pretty average at best when it comes to spraying (and even worse at other stuff)
My only thing was to use even finer wet n dry , and several fine coats and then a heavy last coat (base)
and be careful of laquer as it runs like sh1t (after a curry)
so fine coats !!!! :thumbup:
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

I've sprayed all the fairings with the matching paint this evening, leaving them to dry. I've got the Pro Xl lacquer to put over the top. Would you recommend sanding before applying the lacquer or just spray the lacquer straight over the top?