Brake types

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
HondaVTRguy

Brake types

Post by HondaVTRguy »

Need to change out my brake pads for upcoming summer season as mine are getting a little worn. Just curious wanting to go with sintered brakes as I've heard those hold up better for all season riding and the fact that they wear longer only drawback is im not sure if the rotors on these babies are made for them? Can someone with experience on these bikes chip in??

Thanks much!
MacV2

Re: Brake types

Post by MacV2 »

Standard callipers ?

Any organic or sintered pads will be fine for normal road use. Loads to choose from, EBC, Ferodo, SBS ect ect Some on here also rate the OEM pads.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
budd

Post by budd »

I couldn't fault SBS, excellent performance and good value, some say they don't last well but I've had no problems so for.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

MacV2 wrote:Standard callipers ?
Some on here also rate the OEM pads.
Here Here, Standard Honda(Nissan) pads are excellent for normal road use plus more, personally I wouldn't use anything else, but everyone to their own :D
While you're at it, if you haven't already done it, you should clean/service the calipers and change the brake fluid to feel the full benefit, a lot of people seem to put a lot of emphasis on the brake pads and not on rest of system which is just as important, if not more.
I clean my calipers and change my brake fluid every year.
Last edited by cheekykev on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

budd wrote:I couldn't fault SBS, excellent performance and good value, some say they don't last well but I've had no problems so for.
Don't last long but they bite very well and you get consistent feel from new till tbere dead .
Much better than ebc HH and a little cheaper too , they just don't last as long is all .
I'll be fitting 3 more sets to the bird this month :-)
popkat

Post by popkat »

EBC HH pads in mine, much better initial bite and better feel than the original pads, better braking all round. I think the standard pads are GG rated, the rating is to do with friction I think and HH is higher than GG.

No problem using sintered pads on steel discs. Don't use sintered on a cast Iron disc though, easy to tell if you have them as they show surface rust.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

+1 on SBS pads, and also agree with not using sintered on iron discs, I have organic pads with Iron discs yet to be fitted.
Although having said that there are 'soft' sintered pads that are suitable for Iron discs if you are doing track days and want ferocious stopping power.
regarding calipers- clean clean clean!!!
CJ
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
bald_pig

Post by bald_pig »

I've stuck with Goldfren for many years now, it's really each to their own!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

bald_pig wrote:I've stuck with Goldfren for many years now, it's really each to their own!

That's what I've gone with but the S33 pads. Brakes all bled and working but no road testing on them yet.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
HondaVTRguy

Post by HondaVTRguy »

Ok well I ordered the gal fred stainless steel brake line for both front and rear so I'll be changing the fluid regardless and good tip on the calipers hadn't thought of that. As for pads I think I'll try out the HH and see how they feel for me. I'm pretty sure my disks are steel Cuz I for sure don't rememwber seeing any rust in them.